Exporting PNG from ArcGIS Pro 1.2 very slow

06-22-2016 02:05 PM
DanielMatranga
New Contributor III

I am trying to export some PNGs from a layout in ArcGIS Pro. Everything is running very slowly.

When I try to click on the layer that I want to show from the map when viewing my Layout, I click -> then wait 10 minutes. Click another layer > wait another 10 minutes. Export PNG > wait 30-45 minutes.

Why is this taking so long? There are only a few hundred features in my dataset. Hasn't this software been out for a couple years now? Still feels like beta to me.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

@Daniel Matranga,

You are not actually giving any real information here. Since you are outputting to a raster format (which I wasn't), the export may be highly influenced by the actual dpi resolution you choose. A 1200 dpi export is likely to cost 16 times longer on export than a 300 dpi export is (1200/300 * 1200/300). So: what resolution do you use?

Additionally, transparency may add significantly as well. I haven't yet tried this seriously in Pro, but in ArcMap, adding transparent vector layers above a raster datasets essentially caused many extra redraw cycles, as ArcMap needed to rasterize the vector data and probably merge resulting pixel values to create the final output map. In ArcMap, I have seen dramatic increases in export times when using transparency.

Also, make sure you use appropriate field indexes on all of your layers if you use Definition Queries to select subsets of your data, or if you have complex SQL Queries for you label settings.

0 Kudos