Select to view content in your preferred language

Exporting Joined Tables in ArcGIS Pro to Maintain Field Names

02-24-2016 08:28 PM
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor

I have joined three sheets from an Excel file to a shapefile.  Each sheet contains ACS data so some of the field names are duplicated.  (Example:  HC03_V17 is present in all three sheets: Economic, Social and Demographic.)  This seems ok because when I look at the joined table before exporting it to a shapefile the titles contain a prefix for the sheet they came from and the actual ACS code that I can look up in the metadata file (see below). 

When I export though I lose that naming convention.  Instead, Codes like Economic$.HC03_V17 are transformed into something like Economic_12.  This makes it quite difficult to go back to the ACS metadata and determine what that field data measures. 

Is there a way to maintain the naming conventions that appear when I first add the join?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

was there the option to use qualified field names?  midway down this help topic, there is a suggestion that you can use this as an option when making joins permanent

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/add-join.htm

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Initially I was having the same issue and was seeing no change having that optional parameter in the Join GP tool checked or unchecked. I was still getting the long field names which include the table source followed by ".". Then I realized the same parameter exists in the Copy Features tool which is what exports the joined table. After unchecking that one I got the short field names I needed. Good to know and keep in mind what's under the Environments tab...

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I appreciate you posting this. This took me too long to find and figure out. Now I know I have to uncheck that box twice (at the join AND when exporting feature - copy features).

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Certainly, glad it was helpful. It took me a bit to figure out as well

0 Kudos