Export to ArcGIS Pro layouts to PDF using CMYK Printers Black (C0% M0% Y0% K100%) does not work

11-25-2021 11:29 AM
Labels (1)
Witherbys
New Contributor

Hello community, I would like to export Layouts in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1 for printing with 100% printers black.

I have the maps and layouts set to use CMYK color model and am using the Coated FOGRA39 (ISO 12647-2:2004) colour profile to match that used by our Graphics department. Within Color Management in Options panel, I have chosen to enable colour management and to use the same CMYK colour profile.

In Options>Color Management I have swopped Conversion rules between 'preserve color appearance' and 'preserve color values' with no evidence of change in the output.The linework and text properties are all configured to use C0% M0% Y0% K100% however when I export to PDF, TIF and PNG and load these exported formats into Adobe Illustrator they all show values for Rich Black. Somewhere in the export process they loose the C0% M0% Y0% K100%. How do I preserve 100% Printers Black in my exports from ArcGIS Pro?

Post (https://igis.ucanr.edu/Tech_Notes/arcgispro_printing/) suggest RGB to CMYK is inferior to Illustrator anyway. I'm looking for sharp text and linework therefore image formats aren't appropriate. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Lisa 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Industry common practice is to go through Illustrator (ie distill the pdf) if you need to do spot color processing of your graphics.

If you plan to do a lot of prepress you may want to look into ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud.

0 Kudos
BobbiLay
New Contributor III

Did you ever find a solution?  This is super frustrating.  Thanks in advance

0 Kudos