Select to view content in your preferred language

export symbology from one project map to another project map

Jump to solution
09-07-2023 10:53 AM
Labels (1)
BarbaraDabney
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro, Beginner, version 3.1

Is it possible to copy symbology from one project map to another project map? I want the "FROM" symbology from the MWSD_STRUCT layer  (see screenshot) to import into the "TO" map NODE layer. (see screenshot).

I tried to set the CAP symbol based on the formatting but I could not find the right symbol and it just didn't work.

I saw something at the Esri Conference that I thought said that I can do this so I don't have to recreate the entire symbols one by one now but don't know how. Any help is appreciated.

Barbara

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
BarbaraDabney
New Contributor III
This seemed to come to me instead of the intended person?
0 Kudos
DavidGray1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Barbara; I suspect you got a notice because you were the originator of the entire thread to begin with? Regardless, I hope the continuing thread is informative!   Dave

0 Kudos
DavidGray1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Vikas;  I just recently did find a method that works. While exploring ArcGIS Pro 3.2 topics, I found the instructions for "Import symbology from another layer". This method works and is a simpler method than the alternative set of instructions called "Export symbology from one project map to another project map". The Import method does not involve exporting a .lyr file of the feature for which the symbology is desired and works for within the same Project. The Export method I suspect is the method to use when wishing to export a symbology and bring into a different and separate Project. That may be a critical difference in the applicability of these methods, although it remains to be explained why it wouldn't change any symbology when importing from the exported .lyr file.

However and as a heads-up, the Import symbology instructions say that the menu box that appears says "Apply symbology from layer" when in actuality - after hitting import on the Feature Layer tab, the menu box says "Import symbology from layer". Also the instructions say to hit "Run" when the actual menu box says "Apply". A bit confusing, but it works.

Thanks all;   Dave

0 Kudos
BarbaraDabney
New Contributor III
Thanks but this is going to the wrong recipient I think. I am not Vikas.
0 Kudos