Esri documentation on how to connect to a PostgreSQL (non-gdb) database in Arc Pro v 2.7.0 in order to access the schema and perform queries only (rea

Jump to solution
09-01-2021 07:27 AM
LeslieCooper
New Contributor II

Hi friends, my mission is to connect to a PostgreSQL (non-geo) database in Arc Pro v 2.7.0 in order to access the schema and perform queries only (read only/no write permissions and I am not the DBA). I have been researching how to do this and am still unclear about the process. I would like to be able to present information clearly to the DBA (who is not in the GIS field) so they can perform any necessary requirements for the connection on their end but I'm unable to find a clear outline of it. I am currently trying to piece together the process using troubleshooting questions on forums, etc but it seems like there must be a better way! Help appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Leslie - That is correct!

I have non-geodatabases in Postgres that I have data in and can access from ArcGIS Pro / Enterprise with no issues.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_Thompson

You should be able to make a DB connection to the non-geodatabase Postgres DB from ArcGIS Pro. You just need a users with the appropriate permissions: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.7/help/data/geodatabases/manage-postgresql/privileges-postgresql... 

It may also be good to install PGAdmin on your local machine to test connecting.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
LeslieCooper
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply. So it looks like I need to be granted superuser status by the DBA in order to create a gdb (which seems necessary?) in ArcPro to establish the connection to the  db?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

If you are going to create an Enterprise Geodatabase, you will need the "postgres" user credentials. It will make the SDE user a superuser on the instance.

In order to just connect and view the tables (spatial / non-spatial), you just need grant the permissions in the link above in the section that says "Viewer"

--- George T.
0 Kudos
LeslieCooper
New Contributor II

Hi George, I've established the connection to the postgres db successfully however when I try to create a query table I am unable to see the more than just table names in the db. The thought was that it may be a table name case issue but the names are lowercase and all fields within are lowercase. Is the problem that I am creating a query from a connection and not a gdb? Do I need to create a geodatabase from the postgres db connection first?

TIA!

Leslie

0 Kudos
LeslieCooper
New Contributor II

Thanks again for replying, George. To clarify, I DO NOT need to create an enterprise database in order to query data and view schema, correct? Thanks.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Hi Leslie - That is correct!

I have non-geodatabases in Postgres that I have data in and can access from ArcGIS Pro / Enterprise with no issues.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
LeslieCooper
New Contributor II

Excellent. Thanks!

Leslie