Error: Not a legal OleAut date

10-04-2021 11:04 AM
Labels (2)
Eric
by
New Contributor II

HI folks,

Has anybody received the following error when attempting to open an attribute table in an FGDB in ArcGIS Pro? 

Untitled.png

This error is showing up when opening attribute tables associated with featureclasses in several of my FGDBs.  In all cases, the featureclasses have fields associated with editor tracking (e.g., Creator, CreationDate, Editor, EditorDate).  The EditorDate and CreatorDate fields are the only date fields in the featureclass. I am getting the error whenever I try to open the attribute table regardless of whether there is data in the featureclass or not.  I have tried deleting all data out of the featureclass, but still received the same error.

I can open the attribute tables just fine in ArcMap, but not in ArcGIS Pro.

The only reference to this error that I found was at: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000024929.

Unfortunately, this reference doesn't seem to pertain as I am getting the error even if the table is empty.

I can provide a blank FGDB with the affected featureclasses if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance!

9 Replies
Eric
by
New Contributor II

Just to clarify, the affected Featureclasses were developed back in May 2021 and all worked fine back then.  One of the FGDBs was published to AGOL in May and is still working fine in that environment (including the editor tracking fields).  Since it was working fine in May and still works in ArcMap and AGOL, this leads me to believe that it must be a problem introduced by one of the ArcGIS Pro updates.

ByronUsswald
New Contributor II

Disabling editor tracking and then reenabling editor tracking resolved this issue for me.

0 Kudos
Eric
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Byron.  I am glad you were able to resolve it.  I tried disabling and enabling editor tracking with no luck.  I continue to receive the error message when I try to open the attribute tables.  I ended up just working with a fresh copy of the dataset downloaded from AGOL.  I never have figured out what is wrong with the originals. 

0 Kudos
GerardVenhorst
New Contributor

Hi,

Have the same problem with data coming from AGOL.

Is there already a solution available?

0 Kudos
JCooley_ClackamasSWCD
New Contributor II

We were running into this same error message when working with a hosted feature layer in ArcPro.  The problem was also present when we downloaded a copy of the hosted feature layer.  The bad date value was also preventing downloads of offline areas in Field Maps.  We "fixed" the problem by removing the date field that was generating the error and then published to AGOL.  We didn't spend a lot of time trying to find the offending record.  Sorting and using definition queries on the field would cause ArcPro to crash.

0 Kudos
Eric
by
New Contributor II

I never did find a solution.  I ended up just downloading a fresh copy of the dataset from AGOL.

0 Kudos
MarcusZwicker
New Contributor II

In case anyone ends up here looking for a solution. I ran into this problem as well. Attribute Table not able to open in Pro.

As someone suggested here it can be opened in the old version of Desktop and you can fix the Date field, which was the problem for me, by changing it back to a standard format. This will allow you to open the table in Pro again.

For me personally it was a Date field error caused by Field Calculator updates from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Pro. I had created a work sheet for staff to update a date field and had not updated said sheet in quite some time. Staff were following the instructions and messing up the Date field every time.

In older versions of ArcGIS Desktop the Field Calculator ran in vbscript by default. In vb you can simply add to Date fields by using ...[Date Field]+20... for example, in the Field Calculator. This would add 20 days to the Date field. Doing this in Arcade or Python will result in a Date field that is unreadable for Pro. 

AlexandraWashburn
New Contributor

I encountered the same error and submitted a support case with Esri. The analyst pointed me toward this support article: https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/error-not-a-legal-oleaut-date-000024929

I was able to fix the problem by looking for the kinds of issues outlined in the article, and found a single date record in my ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer where somebody had accidentally written down the year 19 instead of 2019. I changed it within ArcGIS Online and now the error in ArcGIS Pro is gone. Sorry that this isn't very helpful if your layer is empty, but for anyone else that gets this error with existing values, I hope this helps!

cat206
by
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for this!! I managed to get so far down the table in Pro to when the error message came up, so i went down through the ObjectID numbers in AGOL until a reached the similar number and I found the issue - the year was 23 instead of 2023 so i amended it and it works perfectly now. Thank you again 🙂

0 Kudos