Error message: "The specified file does not contain a valid ArcMap document or it was saved in a newer version of ArcGIS." I'm running 10.5 - Any ideas??

10-19-2018 05:51 AM
BrianConklin-Powers
New Contributor

Error message: "The specified file does not contain a valid ArcMap document or it was saved in a newer version of ArcGIS."

I'm running 10.5 - Any ideas??

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brian,

You may be trying to open an MXD from a later release of ArcGIS Desktop (i.e. 10.6).  Do you know what version this MXD was created in?

BrianConklin-Powers
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply Jake. I fixed the problem using MXD Doctor utility. You are correct, it was created in an older version and opened and saved it in a newer version. I found this video to be very helpful. Convert MXD File to Old Version (MXD Doctor) - YouTube Do you know how to prevent this in the future?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

It would be best to keep everyone at the same release of ArcGIS Desktop.

BrianConklin-Powers
New Contributor

Yes, this would certainly help for teams. This is a situation where I opened an older file I had created, made edits, saved in the newer version, and was subsequently unable to open again. I presume I will have to repeat this conversion process with any older file. 

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

If you're making edits to the data (i.e. creating/updating/deleting features) you won't have to save the MXD afterwards, just save your edits.  However, if you are making changes to a layer (i.e. adding labels, changing symbology, adding an additional layer), then yes you will need to save the MXD.

VeerleCaelen
New Contributor

I had the exact same problem. Strangely enough, the file opened perfectly normal if I first started ArcMap and then opend my mxd from inside the program.

0 Kudos