Select to view content in your preferred language

Error 504 when saving more than feature 300 edits to Hosted feature layer

Jump to solution
04-14-2023 04:27 AM
Nindoooo
New Contributor II

Hi!

I have a hosted feature layer with 2953 features. I want to do some calculations with field calculator, so I loaded the layer into ArcGIS Pro. However, whenever I want to save my edits, I get the following error:

Save edits failed. ERROR: code:504, Your request has timed outed., Proxy server got bad address from remote server (verify the server is running).

I found out that, if I edit a maximum of 300 features per time, this error does not occur.

Any idea how I can fix this issue?

Nindoooo_0-1681471554734.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RudraniChakraborty
New Contributor II

The 504 error was a gateway timeout error and would mean that the service was not able to complete the entire task within the timeframe set on the hosting server. 

Could you consider upgrading the network speeds and also checked the datastore utilized by your organization? Could you run an upgrade to Premium Datastore if you are still  on Standard Datastore which   would allocate more resources for your organization's functioning.

Also check the below documents:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/can-not-connect-to-server-get-proxy-error-...

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/error-proxy-server-got-bad-address-from-remote-server-...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RudraniChakraborty
New Contributor II

The 504 error was a gateway timeout error and would mean that the service was not able to complete the entire task within the timeframe set on the hosting server. 

Could you consider upgrading the network speeds and also checked the datastore utilized by your organization? Could you run an upgrade to Premium Datastore if you are still  on Standard Datastore which   would allocate more resources for your organization's functioning.

Also check the below documents:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/can-not-connect-to-server-get-proxy-error-...

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/error-proxy-server-got-bad-address-from-remote-server-...

0 Kudos
ArmstKP
Regular Contributor

@RudraniChakraborty  @Nindoooo The original poster mentioned that he was dealing with hosted feature layers (AGOL), not ArcGIS Server services...?

ZacharyHart
Regular Contributor

I don't see how this is the solution when the issue is with HFL's and AGO. 

TomKukitz
New Contributor III

Well it worked for me! 

And yes it is an AGO issue for me with ArcPro, Server has a timeout setting I believe fixes it, just something I found in my hours of searching for a solution.

Since everyone seems to not have the issue anymore with 3.0.3 I guess we can put this to rest.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

At least you know you can pull off 300 edits at once.  I can never count on anything when calculating to hosted feature services.  Sometimes it gets through 50 features, sometimes all 11,000 of them.

So, since there is no real reliable way to accomplish this, I have converted to python script for this, makes a list of all the features that need calculation, then starts processing the features in the list.  If sucsessful, it adds to a "completed" list.

Then, if/when the scirpt 504's on me, my try/except: block re-runs the calculations if feature not in completed list.

This way, it will always finish the task.  Might take 20 minutes, might take 2 hours, but will eventually get there.

R_

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I am having the same issue. I have 15k records I need updating that I just spent time configuring within a DB. Now that I am trying to calculate and push those updates, I can't . 

TomKukitz
New Contributor III

Laura you have to uninstall 3.1 and use 3.0 pro. That's the only way to fix it. 3.1 has a bug. Let me know how it goes.

Tom

ArizonaGIS
New Contributor III

@TomKukitz, do you know if this is still problematic with ArcGIS Pro? One of our services was republished using 3.1, and now the feature service with enterprise cannot save edits. It is incredibly frustrating because Esri does not have anything that references this in their documentation

ZacharyHart
Regular Contributor

I am happy to say that upgrading to the latest patch of 3.1.3 has resolved this issue for me!

0 Kudos