Error 00241: Using Shape_Area to normalize

02-02-2023 02:18 PM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

I receive this Error during the Share As > Web Map "Analyze" step.

Why is a common density map that normalizes by 'Shape_Area' a problem?

...In addition, why is this layer even a problem when it's not visible and not meant to convert to a Web Map with the other layers?

See below: Thanks

Craig_Eissler_Iceman_0-1675373857951.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Not sure the "whys" of the error per se without digging into it but we're you able to use the solutions of the webpage to resolve the error?

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Well, yes and no... Of the three solutions, number 3 seems to be the relevant one.

The problem is I don't want to change the field that I'm normalizing by.

I suppose removing the layer would solve it to, but I don't want to do that either.

...So, it really does come down to the "why" ...I want to know the concept behind this.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I wonder if it's because the Shape_area field is a reserved ArcGIS field name and likely would update to the Web Mercator projection of a web map/web layer.  Just a guess on that one though.  One thing to test is to create a new attribute field (float or short integer), do a field calculation to get an area value, use that in the Symbology pane and try the workflow again to share as a web layer.

Here's something interesting I found about reserved field names.

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Oh, I know that what you suggest would work for sure -- without even trying. 

The problem is I don't even want this layer to be included in my AGOL web map, but I DO want to keep it in my ArcGIS Pro desktop project. ...So, what gives..?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In looking at the internals, there is some chatter about bugs in the ArcGIS Pro 2.8.x realm where if your DISPLAY field in layer properties and in the Label Pane -> Label Class field were set to shape_length it would throw the 00241 error.  If you change it to say ObjectID, then the error code went away.  What are your two values there?

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

...sorry, had to step away for a moment.

Yeah, I don't think that's the problem here, because the Display field is set to 'County_Name'; nothing to do with 'Shape_geometry' fields

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - might be worth an Esri Technical Support call to see if that team has an idea.

0 Kudos