Select to view content in your preferred language

Error 001491 When trying to clip Global Land Cover by ESRI

10-06-2023 06:01 PM
Labels (2)
IanP
by
New Contributor

Error 001491 Cannot process above the size limits of the image service: 'ESA_CCI_Land_Cover_Time_Series'. The allowed maximum number of rows and columns is 30000 and 30000 respectively. Please adjust the output extent and/or cellsize to fit within the limits.

Hello All,

I have added ESRI's GLC raster (https://cdn.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1453082255024699af55c960bc3dc1fe) to my current map, but I am consistently stonewalled by the error message above. I have looked at this post @https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/clip-a-living-atlas-raster-layer/td-p/1261743, but none of the methods mentioned there or in any of the linked posts are working for me. The data is a time series of global land cover, and I am looking to extract each year's data into its own raster and clip it to a polygon extent. However, I am currently incapable of doing so. I have been banging my head against this problem all day, so any and all help is greatly appreciated! Alternatively, if anyone knows of Land Use/Land Cover maps for India that cover between 2000-2020 (or beyond), please let me know.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SamuelCanas
Esri Contributor

Hello @IanP , I hope you are having a great day! 

I have encountered this error in the past clipping the Sentinel-2 10m Land Use time series. You should have an error like this: 

SamuelCanas_1-1696969879173.png

To solve this issue, you need to modify the processing extent of the clipping tool. Additionally, try running the tool with ArcGIS Pro in offline mode. Attached find a screenshot of where to modify the processing extent on the environments tab of the geoprocessing pane. 

SamuelCanas_2-1696970056506.png

When you reduce the processing extent the error no longer pops up and you can run the tool. (It will take time to run though)

SamuelCanas_5-1696970326956.png

I hope this information can be useful for you, 

Samuel 

AndyDixon
New Contributor II

This looks like it might be a new error to 3.1?

I have a custom geoprocessing tool in 3.0 that takes an image service as a parameter (typically the World Terrain) and this error message does not show up.

My tool uses a custom extent in the python code to then copy an area of the terrain which is within the services requirements.

In 3.1 I cannot now run the tool because this 'error' stops the tool before it can even starts.

What can I do to "work around" the error so that the python code can set the extents correctly?

0 Kudos
KatieWalker1
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. I followed the directions that SamuelCanas provided and the error went away and the analysis was able to run but I forgot to check the box to clip to my shapefile and now the error is back and won't go away this time.

I decided to roll back to Arcgis Pro 2.9 and this issue doesn’t exist in that version. Something to note is that projects saved in version 3 are not compatible with version 2 and you have to do some formatting stuff if you want to be able to use your projects.

SamuelCanas
Esri Contributor

Hello @KatieWalker1 & @AndyDixon , 

I found out that there is a reported BUG on this issue, it is BUG-000156399. 

SamuelCanas_0-1699410968897.png

You can check more information about it here: When using ArcGIS Pro geoprocessing tools with the Input Raster parameter that accepts an image serv... 

This issue is addressed in ArcGIS Pro 3.2.

I hope the information is useful, 

Samuel 

AndyDixon
New Contributor II

This doesn't seem to have resolved my requirements. I was hoping that it wouldn't need a manual intervention in the Environment settings. I want to be able to dynamically update the Extent to match a Layout Map Element extent and that this would then allow the Terrain layer to remove the error. However right now only changing the extent in Environments lets me get rid of that error.

Please let me know if there is a way in python validation that can make this work. I did try adding an extent tool to the Parameters section of the tool, but this didn't work.

0 Kudos
SamuelCanas
Esri Contributor

Hello @AndyDixon

An article referring to this behavior was released by Esri Technical Support. You can check it, in the following link: Problem: Unable to Use Geoprocessing Tools on the ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World Image Service (es....

Currently, the two workarounds for this issue involve setting a smaller output extent for the clipped image and then mosaicking all of the outputs (How To: Merge Multiple Raster Datasets into a New Raster Dataset in ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)) or alternatively adjusting the raster size by exporting an image service for offline use. The last option, however, results in a larger output cell size and, consequently a reduction in output´s spatial resolution.

I hope the information is useful, 

Samuel 

0 Kudos