Edit Portal Feature Layer Data Field in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
05-09-2021 08:53 AM
LamberWBY
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying to use ArcGIS Pro to edit the features in a feature layer I published to my organization's portal. In ArcGIS Pro, I have no problem editing features and their attributes, but I cannot add a field. It says "he project has unsaved edits or the table or its schema is read only". However, I can add a field when I load the feature layer ArcGIS Online's Map Viewer, and the added field can be seen in ArcGIS Pro after I reload the feature layer. Why is the field not editable in ArcGIS Pro?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi!

Because your dataset is now a hosted feature layer, its schema (including addition of fields) can only be managed in AGOL which is acting like the 'database' for the data. This help doco helps to explain a portion of your query - https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012167#:~:text=The%20ability%20to%20add%20fields,av....

When you are opening this in ArcGIS Pro, you are consuming the feature service thats hosted in AGOL. You are looking at the service definition, rather than data in a geodatabase which might be what youre used to dealing with. The change from the consumption of data in a geodatabase to the consumption of data via services comes with a range of new concepts and workflows to manage the data. You will have limited ability to edit a service definition from within ArcGIS Pro.

This is some good reading also - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/manage-hosted-feature-layers.htm

I hope this helps, let me know if youve got any other questions or if ive missed the mark by providing any additional info you have.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I could successfully add field to my Hosted Feature Layer (ArcGIS Online) using ArcGIS Pro, and it also reflected on the web as well.

The user may consider the following.

1. If the hosted feature layer is shared with organization, groups or public, you may try to remove the sharing (temporarily).

2. In ArcGIS Pro, ensure there is no unsaved edits (Edit tab > Save button is grayed out). Also ensure that no webmap or application (desktop/web) containing the specific layer is open.

3. Add the hosted Feature Layer to ArcGIS Pro. Add the desired field and save it.

4. Once field is added successfully, you may share the layer once again.

Think Location

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi!

Because your dataset is now a hosted feature layer, its schema (including addition of fields) can only be managed in AGOL which is acting like the 'database' for the data. This help doco helps to explain a portion of your query - https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012167#:~:text=The%20ability%20to%20add%20fields,av....

When you are opening this in ArcGIS Pro, you are consuming the feature service thats hosted in AGOL. You are looking at the service definition, rather than data in a geodatabase which might be what youre used to dealing with. The change from the consumption of data in a geodatabase to the consumption of data via services comes with a range of new concepts and workflows to manage the data. You will have limited ability to edit a service definition from within ArcGIS Pro.

This is some good reading also - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/manage-hosted-feature-layers.htm

I hope this helps, let me know if youve got any other questions or if ive missed the mark by providing any additional info you have.

Cheers,

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I could successfully add field to my Hosted Feature Layer (ArcGIS Online) using ArcGIS Pro, and it also reflected on the web as well.

The user may consider the following.

1. If the hosted feature layer is shared with organization, groups or public, you may try to remove the sharing (temporarily).

2. In ArcGIS Pro, ensure there is no unsaved edits (Edit tab > Save button is grayed out). Also ensure that no webmap or application (desktop/web) containing the specific layer is open.

3. Add the hosted Feature Layer to ArcGIS Pro. Add the desired field and save it.

4. Once field is added successfully, you may share the layer once again.

Think Location
LamberWBY
New Contributor II

Today I tried again to add field to my Hosted Feature Layer using Pro and it did work! Your troubleshooting is very helpful. This makes my workflow much easier.

Btw I noticed that the new field added in Pro was hidden by default in Online Map Viewer. 

LamberWBY
New Contributor II

I think your answer is a perfect explanation of "hosted feature layer". I learned in some Esri video that when I share my map from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Server as feature layer, I can choose if I want the data to be copied or referenced. Here I am sharing from ArcGIS Pro to a portal, and I didn't have the choice for the data to be referenced. Does this have to do with my organization setup? I believe it has something to do with "Data Store" but I am not very sure.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The "hosted" part of the hosted feature layer means your data is copied to the datastore associated with your AGOL account.

To be able to reference a database, you need to register your database with the server. If youre only using AGOL (and not portal/enterprise with a designated arcgis server) you wont have this option which will be why your only option is to copy (and not reference). So yes this is linked to your organisation setup (only AGOL?).

0 Kudos
LamberWBY
New Contributor II

I believe my organization only uses AGOL indeed. I will confirm with my admin. Thanks!

0 Kudos