Select to view content in your preferred language

Easy way of copying geodatabase schema to a different feature class

Jump to solution
06-04-2018 07:05 AM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I feel like I'm having a GIS brain fart where I can't remember how to do this easily.

There is a certain 'schema' I use for a set of feature classes (like number of fields, the field names, field types, and some domains) that I want to 'copy' into a brand new feature class. This new feature class only has features that were imported from CAD. What's the best way about turning my newly created feature class into a shell of what I want it to be? Does that make sense?

ArcGIS Pro 2.1.3

Geodatabase

20 Replies
MichaelTomiak
New Contributor III

I have a similar issue: I find it quite odd how (by 2022 - Version Pro 2.9.1) there still isn't an obvious way to essentially emulate an existing FC's table/attribute setup, in another (already created FC). 

I understand that you can apply when setting up a new FC, but I have al the FCs I want to apply the schema to already created. 
I used a Model Builder work around, but that was basically to re-create all the FCs just with a slightly different name. A nuisance and effort, so I would like to see this functionality (which I would have thought would be a fairly regularly required task) to be available.  

A simple method would be when in the Data Design> Fields view, an 'import from existing FC' tool. 

MichaelTomiak_0-1645631072849.png

0 Kudos