Duplicate labels show when exporting to AGOL

04-23-2021 06:06 AM
Labels (2)
JohnDavidson
New Contributor III

Trying to push a may to ArcGIS Online using ArcGIS Pro. Each time I process the share to online it shows duplicated values. I am publishing it as a Hosted Tile Service as I have customized symbology. I tried exporting as its own layer rather than a map and it happens again.

JohnDavidson_0-1619183016966.png

Below are my settings currently being used for labeling of this Layer and Class.

JohnDavidson_3-1619183078821.png

JohnDavidson_2-1619183061467.png

JohnDavidson_1-1619183042279.png

0 Kudos
18 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would have to assume based on your label settings that there are either two layers in the map, or there are two "Washington" features.

Can you confirm whether or not there are multiple features in that spot, and that there's just a single layer in your Contents pane?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JohnDavidson
New Contributor III

There are multiple layers in the map, but one one with Washington.

JohnDavidson_0-1619186355723.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Very curious! And when you say "tile service", are they image tiles or vector tiles?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JohnDavidson
New Contributor III

I am exporting as image tiles. This was the only way that I could maintain my symbology.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Worth pointing out: vector tiles allow patterns for fills and lines.

jcarlson_0-1619189607924.png

We don't use image tiles much here, but when I generate a test tile pack from your layers, I get the same issue! If fact, as I zoom in, I see more than two, and for the other features, as well:

jcarlson_1-1619190742902.png

jcarlson_2-1619190771919.png

I'd guess there's a "cutline" between tiles, maybe, and that it renders labels for each tile independently?

What you might do to address this is to set the label position to being "fixed". This will keep your labels centered in the feature regardless of scale.

jcarlson_3-1619190935029.png

Here are two maps: left is the original tile pack. Right, tiles generated with the "fixed" setting.

jcarlson_4-1619191051414.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JohnDavidson
New Contributor III

Josh - Thank you for your reply and continuing to take a look in to this issue. I will take a look at this later this afternoon. I appreciate all your time!

0 Kudos
JohnDavidson
New Contributor III

Attached is the packaged project file

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for the data - so I tested this a few ways.  Shared as a Web Map with default settings (some symbology) would be degraded and viewed the Web Map in the Classic Map Viewer and the Beta Map Viewer.  No duplicate label for Washington.  I shared it as a Feature Layer with default settings and added to a Web Map in ArcGIS Online.  No duplicate label for Washington.  Lastly, I shared it as Tile Layer with default settings and added to a Web Map in ArcGIS Online.  Duplicate label for Washington.  So clearly something is up with sharing as a Tile Layer.  I'll keep digging.
Map Viewer ClassicMap Viewer ClassicMap Viewer BetaMap Viewer BetaWeb Feature LayerWeb Feature LayerWeb Tile LayerWeb Tile Layer

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There is BUG-000116520 Vector tiles are repeating labels in linear features in ArcGIS Online (and Portal).  It seems to be with polygons too!  Are you using Maplex as well?   Try the Standard Label engine and repeat your workflow.

0 Kudos