Drawing a graphics line

09-09-2021 08:54 AM
Michele
Occasional Contributor

In ArcMap it was very easy to draw a straight freehand line (drawing tool).  Does anyone have any tips on how to draw a straight line (graphics) in pro?  Every time I draw one, I can see that it's not straight even though the dashed line that's displayed between the 2 points looks straight.  When I complete the line graphic I can see that it's not straight, in fact the dashed line that is now used between the points before completing it is more difficult to use as opposed to the solid line in ArcMap.  At least you could see it wasn't straight before completing it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can't you just use the line tool instead of the freehand tool? If you want a truly straight line, that's what it does.

jcarlson_1-1631203792307.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Michele
Occasional Contributor

Hi Josh,  

Actually that's what I am using and I keep getting a crooked line.  I guess I shouldn't have used the word freehand because there is a freehand tool (that I rarely, if ever, use).  I'm actually trying to make a line with a right angle.  It's very frustrating.  I thought perhaps I don't know of a trick that's out there.   

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hm. That does seem surprisingly difficult in a graphics layer. It would be nice if the graphics sketch could use some of the standard drawing tools, like making a segment parallel / perpendicular to another.

Honestly, we don't use graphics layers much. We have some generic "annotation / sketch" feature layers that we use to add points, lines, and polygons to a map. We prefer these precisely for this sort of situation where we need the advanced editing tools.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Michele
Occasional Contributor

I did just notice that you can edit the vertices of the line after you draw it so if it's not straight you don't have to delete it and draw it all over again.

0 Kudos