Downfalls of deleting un-used layers and empty table relations in downloaded utility data model?

06-20-2019 01:54 PM
APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Consultants used an existing utility data model to push our existing data into a geodatabase.  What are the downfalls of deleting any layer or tables they did not use to clean up some of the clutter and items I don't care to look at, nor feel we will add anytime soon?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Andrew,

If you are truly using a utility data model, I would be careful there are many interrelations that could be broken.  At this time it may be better to load the full model and just not use the portions you do not need.  This model is meant to be starting point for you to expand upon.  Potions of these can be removed from your project so you do not need to see them but the underlying data schema should remain in place.  Take a look at Utility Network Data Models are just a starting point.

APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Lance, 

It is a utility data model with multiple pre-populated layers and fields, with some layers already related to others, though no connectivity.  Our system isn't too complex on the types of equipment we would like to track so I feel removing all the items that need to be present when publishing would clean it up.  Just my OCD/ engineering mentality behind it.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Just something to think about, that I know can occur with other pre-packaged Solutions, and especially since you mention publishing.  Sometimes there are already web apps, or other pieces of a larger solution that are pre-built based on an existing schema.  If you modify the schema (delete tables and relationship classes) it could break dependencies down the line.  This may not be the case in your situation, but is why I mentioned on that other thread that it would be good to work with the consultants to be sure.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Electric and Gas‌ would be a good group for this question!

0 Kudos