Domain Values in mixed ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro environment

05-01-2019 06:47 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Does anyone know if there are (or used to be) issues with ArcGIS Pro entering incorrect domain values when editing data?

We are in a mixed environment with some users on ArcMap and some on ArcGIS Pro.  We just discovered that a user who exclusively uses ArcGIS Pro is having issues when selecting values in a domain.  Instead of entering the CODE into the field, ArcGIS Pro has been entering the DESCRIPTION.

For example,in the domain these are the options:

In ArcGIS Pro everything seems OK, but when you look at the data in ArcMap you can see that ArcGIS Pro is actually adding the 'Description' into the field and not the 'Code'.  For example, it is entering in 'Municipal' instead of 'municipal'.  In ArcMap, looking at the data through Query Builder you can see the problem it causes.  The highlighted field are actually wrong values.

Has anyone else seen this??

Further testing at the current version of ArcGIS Pro (2.3.2), seems to have the issue resolved, but I am just wondering what prior version of ArcGIS Pro were causing the problem.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount

Brian,

I just tested this with ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 and ArcMap 10.7 and I don't see the behavior there. You mentioned you don't either with 2.3.2 so it seems that it's been addressed. However, we do not have a defect on this issue that I can find so I'm not sure if this was something on our end that we just fixed or something odd happening on your end.

Do you know the ArcGIS Pro version(s) where you were seeing the behavior? Was it specific to a version of ArcMap as well or not?

Jonathan

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi,

Well we are currently on ArcMap 10.4.1 and have been for some time.  As for ArcGIS Pro, I have been using it regularly and updating it as soon as an update is available.  I'm not totally sure how far back the problems with the editing goes.  I have noticed with features edited between January and March of 2019, but it may go back even further.

So whatever vesions of ArcGIS Pro were available during that time, might have been the culprit.

We just found this issue the other day.  Another department that does some editing in using esri is seeing the same issue in their data, and only with the user who has been using ArcGIS Pro.  

It's a real PITA to fix, since ArcMap sees the data as the same.  The only way you can fix the problem is to export the data to a FGDB (we are on SDE normally), and then query out the data with the bad fields.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Are you sure that the data was entered while editing (and if so, editing in the attribute table or editing through the Attributes Pane?) or was Calculate Field being used?  

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

As for me, most likely through the Attribute pane, but possible the Attribute Table.  I don't remember using Calculate Field.

I'm not sure how the others who see the same problem were editing.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Could this issue be a result of the difference in versions between ArcMap and Pro?  Maybe this issue would not arise if using a newer version of ArcMap (10.5 and newer).

0 Kudos
MichaelKelly3
New Contributor III

To fix the problem you could use the Calculate Field tool with something like this:

fix_values(!field_input!)

def fix_values(current_value):
	if current_value == 'Value To Fix One Description':
		return 'FixedValueOneCode'
	elif current_value == 'Value To Fix Two Description':
		return 'FixedValueTwoCode'
	else:
		return current_value‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Best to calculate to a new field to ensure it works as expected first.

Kerry_Shakarjian
New Contributor III

I have seen this behavior in stand alone ArcMap in the past. Not sure what versions but I do recall that it might depend on how the person chooses to view the table fields by "code" or by "description" which can be switched using the table options  by checking or unchecking: Appearance/Display Coded Value domain and subtype descriptions.

I have seen where depending on how this is checked, the table will populate appropriately or at least this is what I've witnessed in ArcMap when the table shows code vs description for the same field. I know this is pre 10.7, could be as far back as 10.3 I saw this occurring. It may still be an issue.

I'm not sure viewing by code vs description is a choice in Pro, I haven't researched or tried but am curious for someone to test it and report back.

0 Kudos