Domain - Valid Code values

11-06-2019 06:35 PM
Tolo__AdamTolo
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Have been trying to find out what the requirements are for the values of the Codes in the domains. Specifically the following:

• The number of characters allowed in code values?
  • Are any type of symbols accepted in code values?

I am asking because I am having crashing issues with ArcGIS Pro 2.4 when my code values are long.

I have been matching the code and code descriptions to the same string for simplicity. When I cut down on the code string length it seems to work fine.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Adam, can you provide examples of coded value domain values that cause Pro to crash?

I looked and don't see any error reports submitted on this.  Can you go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports and attach a few of the latest .dmp files from Pro crashing.  The filename contains a date-time stamp:

We can at least analyze the crash dump to see what is happening, but it would be helpful to have more details about values that cause a crash.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Tolo__AdamTolo
Occasional Contributor

Kory I have added a bunch of the dump files to my original post above.

In regards to the values, I have worked out that as long as the code value is under 50 characters for the domain, I can then assign them to the subtypes without having issues.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing the .dmp files.  I ran one through out analyzer and it looks like the crash itself will be fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.5 (coming in January).  

How many characters does the subtype field allow?  From the issue I looked at here, it appears that the crash was caused by trying to assign a domain that contained a value longer than allowed by the target field...

0 Kudos
Tolo__AdamTolo
Occasional Contributor

Oh yeah good point. I guess the issue lies in the subtype not domain. I found around 50 characters to be the limit. I had a value that was 53 characters and once I removed a word and it was 47 characters it worked. Don't have the exact number for you though.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

OK, your description lines up with the repro case that is marked fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.5.  Now that you know what is causing the crash, at least you are better equipped to avoid it.  Even at 2.5 you won't be able to put more characters into a field than allowed  but at least Pro won't crash when you try.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Tolo__AdamTolo
Occasional Contributor

Oh that is good stuff.

I am assuming there is an appropriate error message too the highlights to the user that there are too many characters in the code?

0 Kudos