Does ArcGIS Pro consume AGO service credits?

Jump to solution
10-22-2014 01:46 PM
DavidMedeiros
Occasional Contributor III

I administer our organizational account and I'm receiving an increasing number of requests by our users to download ArcGIS Pro.

Before I begin granting broad access I need to understand how ArcGIS Pro interacts with our AGO organizational account. Specifically, does using ArcGIS Pro consume credits?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor

Hi David,
To answer your original question, ArcGIS Pro, as an application, does not require credits. However, it does provide access to services from ArcGIS Online, such as Data Enrichment or Geocoding that do consume credits. This is no different than the way ArcMap or other apps that access these credit based services work.

Here is a list of what services consume credits and their usage: 
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisonline/credits
David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

I've moved your post into the ArcGIS Pro space. You will get a much better answer here as the GeoNet Help is intended for community help and feedback. You can see more on the community structure, and what topics are under each space from the following documents:

GeoNet Community Structure

ArcGIS Discussion Forums Migration Strategy

Thanks!

Timothy

DavidMedeiros

Thanks Timothy. I have to say though, I find the new GeoNet format an absolute PIA to navigate. The fact that users even need the two docs you referenced in order to find the proper place to submit a post should be a signal that there is a usability issue at work here.

TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Sure I can see the possible usability issue here. The documents were part of a response to how the community was originally structured so that users could understand how we migrated the old forums into GeoNet. Sure these documents should not be needed to post a question. My normal workflow for when posting a question to a community is to first search for an answer. Then based upon where the majority of related responses reside I would post my question there. How do you envision the user experience should be?

Rob Elkins - Can you provide some information on how credits work with ArcGIS Pro? Thanks!

0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros

How do you envision the user experience should be?

Intuitive.

I always start with a search as well, but usually look for the specific forum or topic I'm interested in first. GeoNet is designed from the discussion level down instead of the topic level. It's vaguely social media based and I get the desire to incorporate that feeling here, but it should be easier to start a topic focused question as well.

I'm sure people are getting used to it, I find it disorienting when it differs so much form almost every other support forum I've ever used.

I have the same complaint about ArcGIS Pro BTW (unintuitive documentation and user interface). For an app that requires an AGO log-in to use, answering the question of credit usage should have been in the FAQ ; )

DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor

Hi David,
To answer your original question, ArcGIS Pro, as an application, does not require credits. However, it does provide access to services from ArcGIS Online, such as Data Enrichment or Geocoding that do consume credits. This is no different than the way ArcMap or other apps that access these credit based services work.

Here is a list of what services consume credits and their usage: 
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisonline/credits
David

0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros

That was my assumption, but the hazy area is that inside Pro there are geoprocessing tools for Spatial Analysis and Network Analysis as well other tools for things like Info Graphics that cost credits within AGO. I would assume that these run locally in Pro and do not consume credits, but with Pro requiring an AGO log in, I can't take the risk that there are hidden paths to credit usage in the tool my users need to know about.

Is any of this spelled out in the Pro documentation? Is there any warning on tools or processes inside Pro that would let you know you are about to use a credit based service in the app (if that's possible)?

MichelleQuak
New Contributor II

Hi @David Watkins,

Does ArcGIS Pro uses AGOL credits when it is used offline then? And what happens when it is back online?

Thanks!

ThomasHoman

David - I'm in total agreement with you on this. I've got several users requesting it but I'm very closely controlling use until I can get a good understanding on credit use. At this point my feeling is that AGO is much like the TV adverts for the latest smartphone game and that users 'are responsible for in-app purchases' then hand the phone to their kid.

ESRI - Please step up to Enterprise in more than marketing name only. AGO credits cost real dollars so I must be able to set user level spending limits with user level auditing. For example our Community Development folks are budgeted for 10% of credits and if they burn through them then they can't burn another department's allocation.

Regards,

Tom