DO NOT update to 3.0, Update to ArcPro 3.0 is a disaster so far.

Jump to solution
06-29-2022 10:49 AM
Labels (1)
WardMitchell2
Occasional Contributor

So I updated to 3.0 yesterday and I highly recommend waiting as long as you can before doing so. I am having very odd behaviors and some things simply not working like clipping a raster. Prior to updating to 3.0 yesterday afternoon,  I was working on a new project, and when I updated that project no longer opened up. It has taken 3 attempts to recreate the basic portion of the project. It would just sit and spin on the FGDB and did the same thing when selecting an excel doc. I can sometimes shut down ArcPro as you normally do but at least 50% of the time I'm having to use task manager to close ArcPro. Just an FYI as this is a major release going back to 2.9.3 might cause even more problems according to ESRI documentation. Migration from ArcGIS Pro 2.x to 3.0—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation . Just a friendly PSA

Tags (1)
65 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

My name is Brad and I work on the geocoding team at Esri.

I would be interested to find out what the reason is for not moving to the new locators at this time.  Have you had a chance to test them out yet?  They have lots of benefits over the classic locators and I would be happy to help you through the migration process if you are interested.

Thanks,

Brad

JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

Brad,

Unrelated to this post, but since you're on the geocoding team, please look at my post today about a geocoding issues I had after upgrading to ArcPro 3.0

Thanks, Jeff

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeff,

Either Shana or I will respond to you in that thread.

Brad

0 Kudos
RichardPearson_org
New Contributor II

On upgrading to 3.0 I had a stuck on loading screen issue which I managed to fix by applying the AccessDB update mentioned above. The latest Windows update seems to have broken things again though! Trying to open an aprx file which includes a link to an Exel spreadsheet causes Pro to get stuck on the loading screen once more. I've tried applying the fix again, but it's not worked this time :-(. Wondering if anyone else is seeing this?

AdrienneJohnson
New Contributor

I am and I hate it here. I've updated all the drivers. I've restarted. I even tried to go back to 2.9x and because my project had been opened in 3.0, that didn't work. Updating to 3.0.1 didn't help. I am tired of 15 minute tasks turning into 2 hour support searches for developer level items. It's not right. 

GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

Yes, we have a nightmare since upgrading to 3.0. We admit to not following the 'migrate to 3.0 documents' but only because we thought it would have minimal impact and would just be a simple process to fix existing minor bugs we already had with 2.9.3. However, now we regret the upgrade to the point of my superiors wanting to can Arc altogether. On upgrading to 3.0 and now to3.0.1 we have several projects that would open in3.0 but are now useless, becoming stuck on loading screens. At least three projects opened after moving to 3.0  but now those same projects will not open at all. We have already re-built two entire projects from scratch because they were not openable at 3.0.1.We have done all of the Excel and .NET fixes/recommendations, etc. mentioned above. Are we just a bad exception or are these issues affecting more than then 1 or 2? Of greatest concern is that some projects opened AFTER moving to 3.0 but now they will not. In one case we left a project running, trying to open, for three days - and it finally did. But others still will not. I have become the whipping person in the company for the delays and hold ups with the GIS outputs - after 20 years I feel like an amateur and am about to quit! No one seems to know how to fix this. The only solution I got from support was to 'Perhaps uninstall 3.0 and go back to 2.9'. That's no good now when most of the projects are in 3.0.1. Sorry, but I'm frustrated.

0 Kudos
TimothyRudzik
New Contributor III

Hi Grant,

Did you follow the Excel Decision Tree Guide strictly? It is especially important to do a silent install of the MS Access Database Engine IF your other MS products were installed using the method Click-To-Install. The decision tree below is from https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/excel/prepare-to-work-with-excel-in-arcgis-pro.ht...

You can check the method by which your MS products were installed (Click-to-Run vs MSI) by opening up any of the MS apps, click the File pull down menu, then click Account and look for something like this....

click to run.JPG

If your MS products were installed using Click-to-Run then you must do a silent install of the Access DB driver. If your MS products are 32 bit then you must also do a silent install of the .NET Runtime.

ArcGISPro_Excel_Decision_Tree_Guide_Update.png

I hope this helps.

Tim "Ryan"

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @GrantDickins_OX2 I'm really sorry to hear about your attempt at updating to 3.0. While you can see that a few others have experienced some issues, we have seen many thousands of users successfully make the move. Your post led me to look for the support case with Esri Australia and I didn't see any information about troubleshooting that was done. 

Given @TimothyRudzik's response about checking the Access database drivers, and I know you said you worked through the Excel recommendations, but we have seen some cases where that needs to be looked at very specifically. Did Support go into the detail that Tim shared below? 

Do the projects you've had problems with contain Excel tables? If they do, and the correct drivers aren't in place, that could potentially lead to a project not opening. If they do, and your drivers are installed and working correctly, or if the problem projects do not contain Excel tables, then something else is going on and it needs to be figured out.

I'm not sure if you are in a position to share project packages that don't work for you in 3.0 (i.e. have you rolled back to 2.9, and could you package a project there and share it with me?), but if you can, shoot me an email at kkramer@esri.com. We want to help figure this out and without having any specifics about the problem projects, that isn't possible. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.  

0 Kudos
GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

Hi Kory and Tim. First, my apologies for my frustrated rant. Below I have outlined what has occurred as best that I can determine.

1. I did not know of the 'decision tree' that was shown to me by Tim. So, I could not get the required Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 files to install as described when upgrading, so I then had our IT support company install the Access DB 2016.exe for me. They got it installed and the ArcGIS Pro projects would open (those with and those without Excel files in them). I do not know if that means the files were installed silently or not. The Excel application on my machine indicates it was installed Click to Run.

GrantDickins_ESCO_0-1664146886677.png

2. Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 is currently installed on the PC.

GrantDickins_ESCO_1-1664146909763.png

3. My Aus support case was Esri Case #03129769 - ArcGIS Pro 3.0 Corrupt Upgraded Project Files? 

The responses (and support assistance) were always generally helpful but I/we have never been able to resolve the issues that still prevent opening some projects.

4. Should I uninstall Arc and reinstall it? Going back to 2.9 is not an option now that I have already upgraded most projects to 3.0.1. But I think that is all I can do from this point? I haven't done this already because I am paranoid I will not be able to open any of the projects at all, i.e. break something else. However, I think your meaning is to rollback to 2.9 and open the older projects that don't currently open in 3.0 and then somehow save them so they open in 3.0?

5. I have never used project packages. I will see if I can do that and send one to you.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

I forgot to add, would it be required or useful to uninstall the current .NET and Access DB installs and re-install both of them using the 'silent' method?

0 Kudos