Select to view content in your preferred language

DO NOT update to 3.0, Update to ArcPro 3.0 is a disaster so far.

Jump to solution
06-29-2022 10:49 AM
Labels (1)
WardMitchell2
Occasional Contributor

So I updated to 3.0 yesterday and I highly recommend waiting as long as you can before doing so. I am having very odd behaviors and some things simply not working like clipping a raster. Prior to updating to 3.0 yesterday afternoon,  I was working on a new project, and when I updated that project no longer opened up. It has taken 3 attempts to recreate the basic portion of the project. It would just sit and spin on the FGDB and did the same thing when selecting an excel doc. I can sometimes shut down ArcPro as you normally do but at least 50% of the time I'm having to use task manager to close ArcPro. Just an FYI as this is a major release going back to 2.9.3 might cause even more problems according to ESRI documentation. Migration from ArcGIS Pro 2.x to 3.0—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation . Just a friendly PSA

Tags (1)
65 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The responses (and support assistance) were always generally helpful but I/we have never been able to resolve the issues that still prevent opening some projects.

Should I uninstall Arc and reinstall it? Going back to 2.9 is not an option now that I have already upgraded most projects to 3.0.1. But I think that is all I can do from this point? I haven't done this already because I am paranoid I will not be able to open any of the projects at all, i.e. break something else. However, I think your meaning is to rollback to 2.9 and open the older projects that don't currently open in 3.0 and then somehow save them so they open in 3.0?

--

So, installing the correct Access database drivers does allow some of your projects to open in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. That is good news! But from your note above, it still sounds like not all projects are opening. Is that correct? This is where working with Technical Support can help as I know it can be difficult to constantly switch between 2.9 and 3.0 to test - they should be able to help with some of that. For example, for the projects that don't open in 3.0, do they open in 2.9? Before trying to package up a project, could you just share the .aprx with us (yes, it will have no associated data, but we could still quickly see whether it will open in 3.0 or not).

As for moving back to 2.9, it is possible to package projects that open in 3.0 and those will open in 2.9. See Get Ready for ArcGIS Pro 3.0

"However, just because 3.0 documents cannot be opened directly in earlier versions, it is still possible to access them in 2.x if needed. If you save the project and for whatever reason find that you need a 2.x version, create a project package. Layer packages, map packages and project packages will contain both 2.x and 3.x content."

Let me know if you can send me some .aprxs that don't open for you in 3.0. I'd also encourage you to continue working with technical support to get to the bottom of the issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

Hi Kory, Yes some projects do not open in 3.0. But I'm confused. So, 3.0 projects can open in 2.9? But also, the idea that I have to uninstall 3.0, install 2.9, do something at that stage (what exactly?), then reinstall 3.0 again, what does this achieve? I am not able to tell if 3.0 projects would open in 2.9 because I have not rolled back to 2.9 simply because that would mean I can't work on the current projects. Forgive my ignorance but project packages don't make sense to me - other than for sharing with others (their main purpose?) what do I do with them once packaged? I have sent via email, 3 .aprx files that do not open in 3.0. Thanks, Grant

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Grant, I was just pointing out that you aren't necessarily "stuck" in 3.0 if you do need to move back to 2.9 to work. Because projects saved in 3.0 will not open directly in 2.9 (because 3.0 is a major release and one of the breaking changes made is that the .aprx file itself is stored in json rather than the old .xml format), an option that you have is to create project packages. Project packages contain both 2.x and 3.x content. So once you have those ppkx's, if you needed to roll back to 2.9, you could open the ppkx and it will open a 2.9 project.

Now... as for you sending 3 .aprx files that do not open in 3.0, did you send them to kkramer@esri.com? I have not yet received them...

0 Kudos
GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

Hi Kory, I have sent you two emails with attachments (3x .aprx files) and both were rejected by the server with,

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

kkramer@esri.com (kkramer@esri.com)
Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.

I'll try resending with one less .aprx file.

0 Kudos
GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

I keep getting rejected emails to you with 'message size violations' - the attachments are each zipped and only 1MB - too big still?

0 Kudos
GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

Sorry Kory, another rejected email - I can't send any attachments to you. I can't attach them here because the data is private.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I will set up an ftp site and send to you in the morning...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Grant, I did find one .aprx file that was attached to the case with Esri Australia. Was that an example of a project that will not open in ArcGIS Pro 3.0? It opened fine for me in 3.0 and I can see that it contains 3 Excel tables. I removed them and uploaded that project file to the ftp site that I shared with you. Let's see if you can open that project - that will help narrow this down to still being a problem with the Access database drivers required... Please upload other examples of projects that do not open for you to the ftp site that I shared, and I can look at them, but for that one at least, it still seems to be the Excel drivers.

0 Kudos
GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

Hi Kory, Yes, that project was one that i cannot open. I have downloaded that project's APRX that you could open and it DID open for me also. I have since saved it locally, repaired all broken data sources, re-closed it and reopened it successfully. That is good. I have also uploaded two more APRX project files that do not open for me. If these open for you, and I can repeat the process for each, then what does that mean? Has it narrowed the issue to being something specific? Thank you for this assistance.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Grant. I wanted to close the loop on the thread here - as I indicated in my follow-up email, I was also able to open the additional two projects in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. I shared specific details in my email, but to answer your question of "Has it narrowed the issue to being something specific?" From what I can tell, yes, it appears to be narrowed down to projects that contain Excel tables. Since the projects to open in 3.0 for me, it would point to your machine still not meeting the Access database requirements. 

Please validate my hypothesis by seeing if you can open the projects where I removed Excel tables. If you can open those, I think it is clear that you still need to get the required drivers installed correctly. 

Awaiting your response!

Cheers

0 Kudos