Do Attribute Rules effect the entire SDE?

Jump to solution
09-10-2019 08:47 AM
TylerBain
New Contributor II

I am working on moving from ArcMap with Attribute Assistant to Pro with Attribute Rules and just needed some clarification that I couldn't find by Googling. 

Adding attribute rules impacts backward compatibility for the dataset.

• Datasets with attribute rules can no longer be used by ArcGIS Pro releases prior to 2.1 or ArcMap clients.

My question is about the meaning of "Dataset". When adding Attribute Rules to a Feature Class on an SDE, do the rules only effect the single Feature Class, or would the entire SDE no longer be backwards compatible with ArcMap?  

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tyler,

In this instance, dataset refers to database types with attributes e.g., feature classes and tables. The rules are set on those types rather than the entire Enterprise database. Of course if you wanted to do a sanity check you could create a db back, then apply the rules and test in specific older versions. If you see anything unexpected you can check back here or connect with support. My quick test was in accessing the feature in ArcMap 10.7.1 with rules created on a feature class in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1. The enterprise database was accessible but just not the feature.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tyler,

In this instance, dataset refers to database types with attributes e.g., feature classes and tables. The rules are set on those types rather than the entire Enterprise database. Of course if you wanted to do a sanity check you could create a db back, then apply the rules and test in specific older versions. If you see anything unexpected you can check back here or connect with support. My quick test was in accessing the feature in ArcMap 10.7.1 with rules created on a feature class in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1. The enterprise database was accessible but just not the feature.

TylerBain
New Contributor II

Thanks Aaron for clearing that up for me.