Dimension features

01-25-2019 03:10 AM
IvanoGasco
New Contributor II
I'm unable to create a Dimension feature class within my geodatabase receiving the error below:

000287: Failed to create output feature class

Does it requires some extension?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
megan_r
Esri Contributor

Hello Ivano,

A few common causes of the error 000287: Failed to create output feature class are:

• Feature class does not have a unique name and/or tools are not allowed to overwrite existing data
  • The output workspace is read-only
  • The output workspace cannot contain feature classes

To allow geoprocessing tools to overwrite existing data, navigate Project > Options > Geoprocessing > check allow geoprocessing tools to overwrite existing datasets.

Can you verify that you are using a unique name or can overwrite existing data, and that feature classes can be created in the output workspace. 

Best,

Megan

IvanoGasco
New Contributor II

The dimension feature class name is unique and in the same geodatabase i can write everything but dimension feature class.

0 Kudos
JakubCzarcinski
New Contributor

I've got the same problem: 000287: Failed to create output feature class.

i can create polylines, polygons and so forth but dimensions.

Is there a limitation in terms of Basic, Standard or Advanced version of ArcGIS PRO?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Try upgrading the geodatabase with the GP tool 'upgrade geodatabase'

Im also curious if you can create a new annotation feature class, as it uses a similar data storage model.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

If you are also using the geodatabase in ArcMap 10.x, will this upgrade process make the geodatabase no longer usable in ArcMap 10.x?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No, shouldn't do, its not upgrading datasets. You can run it from ArcCatalog if you wish via the geodatabase properties. The command will be disabled if the geodatabase is up to date.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is a licensing issue, which i should have known....

You need standard or advanced to create and edit dimension feature classes, they will be read only in basic.

I'll put in an issue to update the help in Pro and Arcmap to make it clearer and change the error message.

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/dimensions/creating-dimension-feature-classes...

0 Kudos
JakubCzarcinski
New Contributor

Thanks Sean,

That makes sense, unfortunately it's no good news for me:/

But anyway, thanks for the effort.

0 Kudos
PhilippRenggli
New Contributor

Sorry, but are you kidding us?

Dimensions should be a basic feature of a GIS-Software. In ArcGIS Pro it was a big problem for a long time, but it was promised for the future. Now it should be only for the standard/advanced Version, really?