Demos or Tutorials of Working with Topologies

Jump to solution
06-09-2021 02:06 PM
KateRose
New Contributor III

Are there any videos/demos/tutorials for working with various types of topology tools, workflows, etc.? The only ones I've found are old (for ArcGIS Desktop) and the tool reference and help topics aren't clear to me. I could really use an overview of the toolset and when to use map vs. geodatabase topology, and walk-throughs of the editing and modifying tools. Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Topological Editing section does go through most of the editing tools, and there's a whole set of pages on the topic of topologies in general, but I would agree that some more in-depth workflow examples might be nice.

In general, map topology is useful when you're working with features that may not participate in any topology, such as with hosted layers, or layers from disparate databases, datasets. It will only apply to layers currently in the map.

As an example, we maintain zoning polygons for our county, which follow parcel boundaries, but we do not maintain them as a parcel type in our Parcel Fabric. Using the map topology is useful for getting the zoning shapes to align well with the parcels.

Geodatabase topology, on the other hand, relies on pre-defined topology layers, rules, and relationships. As I understand it, even layers not present in the map, but which participate in the topology, will be referenced when determining where your nodes and edges are and performing the various edits. I could be wrong on that last bit.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Some good references mentioned by Josh and Daniel.

Here is one from the Penn State University.

Geodatabase Topology - Spatial Database Management 

From ArcGIS Pro Documentation:

An overview of the Topology toolset 

Think Location

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Topological Editing section does go through most of the editing tools, and there's a whole set of pages on the topic of topologies in general, but I would agree that some more in-depth workflow examples might be nice.

In general, map topology is useful when you're working with features that may not participate in any topology, such as with hosted layers, or layers from disparate databases, datasets. It will only apply to layers currently in the map.

As an example, we maintain zoning polygons for our county, which follow parcel boundaries, but we do not maintain them as a parcel type in our Parcel Fabric. Using the map topology is useful for getting the zoning shapes to align well with the parcels.

Geodatabase topology, on the other hand, relies on pre-defined topology layers, rules, and relationships. As I understand it, even layers not present in the map, but which participate in the topology, will be referenced when determining where your nodes and edges are and performing the various edits. I could be wrong on that last bit.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
KateRose
New Contributor III

Thank you! I have read through the topics but need more examples, I suppose, of which to use when and how to apply to different situations. Your example and descriptions are helpful. 

0 Kudos
DanielSimo
Esri Contributor

Hi @KateRose - There's an Esri Web Course "Getting Started with Geodatabase Topology" that you might find helpful:

https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/57630430851d31e02a43ee19/getting-started-with-geodatabase-topo...

KateRose
New Contributor III

Thanks! I saw that course earlier, but it's designed for ArcGIS Desktop and only covers the geodatabase topology, not the map topology. I suppose I could try to go through it using the data but in Pro (v2.6.2 here).

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Some good references mentioned by Josh and Daniel.

Here is one from the Penn State University.

Geodatabase Topology - Spatial Database Management 

From ArcGIS Pro Documentation:

An overview of the Topology toolset 

Think Location
KateRose
New Contributor III

This course looks good- thanks! I forget sometimes that I ought to search outside of Esri for information 😁

0 Kudos