Definining the size (height, width) of charts

Jump to solution
06-12-2020 04:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm recently creating some charts of my layers, which I want to export and use in my Word document. Everything works fine except for that I can not find a way to specify the chart size (height, width)? It will always export the chart based on the width of the opened chart window.

So what I'm doing so far to change the chart size is to drag the contents (left side) and catalog pane (right side) to the middle (to the direction of the chart) until the chart has a width that fits my needs. This is very annoying, especially when some time later I want to change something in the graph, it's impossible for me to get the chart to the same size again since for continueing working on my data, I dragged the contents and catalog pane smaller again.

Is there any way to specify the size of charts (for export)?

Best regards

Christian

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Christian, 

I don't believe you can specify the size of the output when exporting from the Chart View. Here is a work around you may want to consider. 

1. Insert a new Layout

2. Insert the Map Frame (a layout context container for the map) that the chart belongs. Note: In order to add a Chart Frame (the container for your chart) you need to have a Map Frame on the layout.

3. Insert the Chart Frame for the chart (for more info see Chart frames—Layouts | Documentation ) and place it over the map frame.

4. Open the properties of the Chart Frame (not the Chart Properties pane, but the Element pane for the Chart Frame) and un-check "Only show the chart data visible in the map frame" if you want to show all the data in your export.  If not you will need to adjust the extent of the Map Frame to make all the features visible in the extent in order to get the correct the data you want in the Chart Frame. 

5. Still working with the Chart Frame go to the Placement tab and set the size you want the export to be. When doing this you may need to adjust the size of the Map Frame so that the Chart Frame covers all of the Map Frame (this is important so that none of the Map Frame will be seen in the export.) You can use the same Placement tab in the Map Frame properties to set the size of the Map Frame.

Once you have the Chart Frame set to the size you want and it covers all of the Map Frame you are ready to export.

6. With the Layout View active, click the Share tab on the ribbon.

7. Click Export. This open the Export pane. From there export to JPEG or PNG. 

8. Key step! Click on the option "Clip to graphics extent". 

9. Click Export and import the resulting file into your word document.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Christian, 

I don't believe you can specify the size of the output when exporting from the Chart View. Here is a work around you may want to consider. 

1. Insert a new Layout

2. Insert the Map Frame (a layout context container for the map) that the chart belongs. Note: In order to add a Chart Frame (the container for your chart) you need to have a Map Frame on the layout.

3. Insert the Chart Frame for the chart (for more info see Chart frames—Layouts | Documentation ) and place it over the map frame.

4. Open the properties of the Chart Frame (not the Chart Properties pane, but the Element pane for the Chart Frame) and un-check "Only show the chart data visible in the map frame" if you want to show all the data in your export.  If not you will need to adjust the extent of the Map Frame to make all the features visible in the extent in order to get the correct the data you want in the Chart Frame. 

5. Still working with the Chart Frame go to the Placement tab and set the size you want the export to be. When doing this you may need to adjust the size of the Map Frame so that the Chart Frame covers all of the Map Frame (this is important so that none of the Map Frame will be seen in the export.) You can use the same Placement tab in the Map Frame properties to set the size of the Map Frame.

Once you have the Chart Frame set to the size you want and it covers all of the Map Frame you are ready to export.

6. With the Layout View active, click the Share tab on the ribbon.

7. Click Export. This open the Export pane. From there export to JPEG or PNG. 

8. Key step! Click on the option "Clip to graphics extent". 

9. Click Export and import the resulting file into your word document.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great, thanks for your answer!

It works fine, although it is more time-consuming than I believed a task as simple as this would be. But it seems like there is no other solution.

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Christian Martin Mützel‌ for the question and Tom Bole‌ for the answer about Layouts.

The ability to set a width and height for chart export is coming in the Near term, likely ArcGIS Pro 2.7.

In Pro 2.6 we've built more capabilities for automating chart creation through arcpy, as well as chart export functions which do provide the ability to set height and width for the exported graphic file. 2.6 is currently in beta, if you are interested in trying the workflow via Python scripting in arcpy, send an email to dflater@esri.com to get more info about joining the beta program. Otherwise please hold tight for Pro 2.7.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks the good news! I am looking forward to the new capabilities.

0 Kudos