Database Permissions in ArcGIS Pro bug?

08-04-2017 11:46 AM
LakeGIS
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone, 

I noticed this today when we started using ArcGIS Pro more frequently. Several users reported that not all of the features are in Publication.  Below on the left is my OS-Auth connection to Publication using ArcCatalog. As you can see, lots of features in there. The one on the right is the same OS-Auth connection to Publication using ArcGIS Pro. As you can see, not so many features in there. 

The only difference between the features that do show up in Pro vs. ArcCatalog is the explicit object level permissions. I've got my Active Directory group for my GIS Users and I gave them select rights at the Database level for my Publication database.  Some of these features I did happen to go to the feature level (object level) and grant explicit permission to my AD GIS Users group.  Those features with explicit object level permissions show up in Pro.  It's almost like ArcGIS Pro is not inheriting the database level permissions, and instead looking soley at the object level permissions for each feature class.

This is ArcGIS Pro 2.0.0 ; backend is SQL Server 2012R2.

3 Replies
ConnorMc
New Contributor

We are experiencing this as well.

I contacted support and they informed me that it is a known bug with Pro 2.0 and Desktop 10.5.1:
BUG-000106595 - ArcGIS Pro 2.0 and 10.5.1 Desktop require explicit object level select privileges for users to view SQL Server geodatabase data in the Catalog tree.

There is a patch for 10.5.1 Link released last week but no word on a fix for Pro at the moment.

AlbertoAloe
Occasional Contributor

Hi everybody.

More details on this issue here

Alberto

0 Kudos
chrisksepka
New Contributor

We are experiencing exactly the same behavior.   Beginning at ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1, all of our users can no longer see 90% of the content of our enterprise geodatabase.   Also in all versions of ArcGIS Pro, all of our users can not see 90% of the content of our enterprise geodatabase.  We rely on active directory groups, and SQL schemas, to grant permission, and control what access, our users have to our data.   We have 250 user and process accounts that access our data.  We have 750 datasets in our geodatabase.  That combination makes object level permissions not a reasonable option.   We are currently at 10.4.1 across the board on both server and client products.  At this version, our security architecture works flawlessly.  The limitation only begins at version  10.5.1 of ArcGIS Desktop, and in ArcGIS Pro.   We have a bug BUG-000122786  entered with support services and the outcome was that this may be addressed in version 10.8 of ArcGIS Desktop.   No word on what the status of it is in ArcGIS Pro. 

0 Kudos