data types for COGO from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Pro

11-28-2017 11:31 AM
SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

Greetings, 

It seems that the COGO fields have been changed from Text fields (in desktop) to numeric fields in Pro. 

Are there were tools or methods available to convert COGO fields from their Desktop text field-type to double field-type in Pro?

Thank you, 

--SM 

cogo‌ arcgispro‌ arcgisdesktop‌ datatype‌ cogofields #fieldtype#textvsdouble

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

some links from here

under manage data 

The Enable COGO tool adds COGO-related labeling and symbology to the selected line feature class. Lines are drawn with custom COGO symbology, and a label expression labels each line with its COGO dimensions, if they exist. The Disable COGO tool removes COGO-related labeling and symbology from the selected line feature class

.editing data

New functionality has been added to the Traverse tool:
  • Improved labeling and symbology for a COGO-enabled line feature class.
  • Add previously entered and saved traverse lines to the Traverse tool by tracing over the lines in the map. Lines being traced must belong to a COGO-enabled line feature class and have populated COGO attribute fields.

And Enable COGO and its equivalent Disable

SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

Thank you for the explanation, I need to be more clear; are there tools or methods to take existing data that is stored in the desktop COGO fields and transfer it to the Pro COGO fields? In Pro, Enabling COGO using these tools elicits errors of wrong data type for COGO fields. 

There is likely a methodology that includes transferring the data to some "place-holder" fields and then programming the conversion of these strings into COGO Direction values, in much the same way ArcGIS must do it when you enter values into its various traverse tools.  

JasonFuller
New Contributor II

I know this is kind of old but I have also wondered if there are any tools for converting between these data types.  Or in situations where someone provides you data in ArcPro Cogo but you need to add it to an ArcGIS Desktop Cogo dataset. Would love some conversion tools or scripts but cannot seem to find any.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

Okay, I guess the correct answer is "no". 🙂

We hit this issue today.

It does not seem like it's hard - it will be a one-time thing. I think like this:

(1) attempt to run Enable COGO. It will fail and list out the names of the fields it wants to create Write down the names of the old fields.

(2) rename those - for example make Direction OLD_Direction

(3) run Enable COGO again, this time it will succeed

(4) use Calculate Field to copy from each old field to each new one

(5) delete the old fields

I could write a little tool to do this but it would be used one time here. Not worth it.