Data design>Fields

Jump to solution
03-29-2023 12:15 PM
Labels (1)
dalvarez
New Contributor III

Hello!

I am trying to change the schema for a layer in a project's file geodatabase.  I highlight the layer> Data Design>Fields. I made the changes to name of fields, order ect. I click on the save tab for fields and the changes are saved on the layer I am working on, but not on the actual FGDB. When I remove the layer and added it again to my project the changes made and saved do not show up. I've followed this worflow for a while and only now are the changes not saving in the FGDB. Any ideas of why this could be so?

dalvarez_0-1680117315069.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes, only certain properties can be saved in the dataset itself, whereas using the current layer modifies the way it is displayed/etc. in the current map project, and that info is saved in the project, not the dataset.

I believe the only way to re-order the fields is by creating a new featureclass and rearrange the order in the field Mapping.  There are a few ways to do this, but Feature Class to Feature Class is probably the simplest.

R_

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

You are only changing it for the current layer in the map.  If you change the Current Layer dropdown to Data Source, then the edits will be made to the dataset, not just in the map document.

RhettZufelt_0-1680127322967.png

R_

dalvarez
New Contributor III

Hello! 

Thanks for your input. I have tried what you suggested. However; if I go to data source I would not be able to change settings for visible, read only, or order of fields with in the table. Is this correct? 

Thanks!!!!

dalvarez_0-1680198186303.png

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes, only certain properties can be saved in the dataset itself, whereas using the current layer modifies the way it is displayed/etc. in the current map project, and that info is saved in the project, not the dataset.

I believe the only way to re-order the fields is by creating a new featureclass and rearrange the order in the field Mapping.  There are a few ways to do this, but Feature Class to Feature Class is probably the simplest.

R_

dalvarez
New Contributor III

Thanks for clarifying this!!!

0 Kudos