custom picture symbol look horrid even at super high resolution!

Jump to solution
04-09-2018 09:33 AM
JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

I custom made a symbol in Adobe Illustrator and have exported it to BMP, PNG, and JPG and even at killer resolutions and 200MB the quality of the symbol is terrible and pixelated.  I even increased my Illustrator drawing to a very large size and tried that but it's not doing anything but make my drawing speed slow.  I found a property under Appearance for quality and this helped but it's still not crystal clear like the ESRI symbols.  

2 questions:

Does Appearance quality setting effect the symbol on the actual print?  What does it really do when I use Draft quality on the final product?

How do I get a stunning custom symbol? the resolution issue is killing my map!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

I never thought about downsampling before!  That was it!  I started at 300x300 as my artboard size and it was apparently too big but I went to 6000x6000 thinking to go bigger.  I just now reduced it to 100x100 and exported at medium 150 resolution and wow!  That's what I wanted!  Thanks Dan!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

glad it work out Jacqueline

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Jacquelline,

Could you attach a screenshot of what your symbol looks like exported from Illustratror compared to how it displays in ArcGIS Pro.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
JacquelinePursell
Occasional Contributor

I got it.  I was going bigger and bigger thinking that was my issue but it was the opposite.  I reduced my Illustrator artboard to 100x100 points and it solved the issue!  yay!

0 Kudos