Create Polygons Based on Corner Lat/Long

03-24-2021 06:25 AM
IJurgensen
New Contributor

I have a table of data with left, bottom, right and top lat/long values and need to create a grid using those corners for rectangular polygons. The data has specific values I need to be able to show in pop-up once the layer is complete. Essentially I'm creating a national grid, and would like to show data for each rectangle that is being charted.

What tool should I be using to do this? Any tips? Thank you for the help, I'm new to ArcGIS!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro, you could check Coordinate Table to Polygon 

Think Location
0 Kudos
IJurgensen
New Contributor

I used the Coordinate Table to Polygon tool, and was able to create a layer showing the top left corner of each of the rectangles, but I don't see anywhere to define the other corners of the shape. Ie it has one lat/long entry field, but nowhere else to define the rest of the shape. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you share a sample table?

Think Location
0 Kudos
IJurgensen
New Contributor

Certainly! This file would be 3 rectangles in TN. You can see I have the lat/long coordinates for each of the 4 corners of each rectangle, or can use the individual lat/long of the 4 sides of the rectangle. The tools that I've found have all only allowed for one set of lat/long, which allows me to create a layer with data at one of the 4 corners of the rectangles, but not see/color/interact with the entire rectangles themselves. I need to be able to create all of the rectangles, and have the polygon be recognized so that a pop-up will appear when clicked showing the data for that rectangle.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi!

a few other options to check out are 'minimum bounding geometry' and the 'points to line' > 'feature to polygon' toolsets.

Ive used the points to line>feature to polygon workflow a fair bit, and if its something you intend on repeating a lot, a model could help shorten the process in the long run

have a read here for more info - https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000021848