Create Locator for Street Address Role not working Pro 2.5

04-09-2020 07:48 AM
StephanieBosits
New Contributor III

I am attempting to create a street address locator via the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.5. For now in an attempt to just get the tool to run I am only filling in the required fields and I get the generic error: 

Error happened while transforming data
Failed to execute (CreateLocator).

I have seen in other posts that this can often be caused by a null geometry in the data. I have run check geometry 
and repair geometry on my data just in case and there is no null geometry in the data.

I have tried running this tool with multiple different versions of my road centerline data (slightly different 
schemas and database sizes) and have never gotten it to run successfully. 

I have been able to create a locator using this tool for my address points with a point address role.

Screenshot of small test area below, does anyone have any thoughts? 

10 Replies
FentonCheng_-_DIT
New Contributor II

I'm getting the same error too on my street centerline data. I also tried rebuilding the locator with the original data and it also failed.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Stephanie - in reviewing some internal threads, I found 2 possible workflows to resolve this error message.

1.  Simplify Line - run the Simplify Line Tool on the line feature class and use the output of the 'Simplify Line Tool' in the 'Create Locator Tool."

2.  Export as a shapefile - export the line feature class to a shapefile and use the shapefile result in the 'Create Locator Tool.'

Something else to try is to clear the Display Cache - go to the Projects tab->Options->Display and check the Clear cache checkbox.  Click OK.

What is the result?  Please advise.

StephanieBosits
New Contributor III

I ended up opening a case with ESRI and yes the advice given was to export to a shapefile. This worked for me. I was told this bug should be addressed in Pro 2.6. Thanks for your help Robert!

PhilLarkin1
Occasional Contributor III

Hello- Were you given a bug number that you can share? 

0 Kudos
StephanieBosits
New Contributor III

BUG-000127864. This issue seems to have been resolved in Pro 2.6

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My suspicion is you have null geometries or empty geometries in your street data.  See this post of mine from Dec 2019.  Interesting that Tech Support is selling you on a bug; I've built several street role locators with 2.5 and never had a problem.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

In looking at the data in the screenshot you provided and seeing that the Check and Repair Geometry tools had no affect on being able to build the locator with the Create Locator tool, I suspect that there are true curves or arcs in the centerline file, perhaps a cul-de-sac, that is causing the failure. Since curves are only supported in geodatabases, exporting the feature class to a shapefile simplifies the problematic features. You can also run the Densify tool with the Offset Densification Method to simplify the lines.

I would also check for any multipart features that may need to be exploded using the Multipart to Singlepart tool, then use the new feature class to build the locator.  Run either the Add Geometry Attributes or Calculate Geometry Attributes tool to add the 'Number of parts' Geometry Property to the reference data. A feature with more than one part is considered a multipart feature.
Note: The tools add a new field named 'PART_COUNT' to the Input Features of the tools.

StephanieBosits
New Contributor III

Thank you, very helpful I know there are true curves in the database so I suspect that is what is causing the issue, I will test that out. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

take a look here: https://community.esri.com/message/935520-true-arcs-geocoding-and-other-musings 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos