Create feature class in ArcPro - default resolution and tolerance very low

01-15-2019 01:51 AM
JessiePechmann2
New Contributor II

When I create a new feature in a newly created feature class in ArcPro, the vertices always move away from where I placed them. Points move to another location, and polygons remove some vertices. If the polygon is too small, it disappears altogether. I suspect that the default tolerance and resolution in the ArcPro Create Feature Class tool are too low. I did not use to have this problem in ArcPro. It might have started to occur after I installed a patch. I am currently running 2.2.4. 

Is this a bug or is there something wrong with my own default settings or program? I have tried to change the settings manually when creating a feature class, but have not been able to find what all the default settings should be, and have run into problems. Examples of my issues creating vertices are below. 

Points example: I tried to create a point (red star) by clicking on top of the green dot (labeled Other), it moved it into the nearby road.

Polygon example: I traced the lake on this basemap, and when the new polygon (in purple) was finalized, it removed vertices making a very jagged polygon. 

So far my only workaround is to copy and paste an existing feature class, delete all features, and start from there. Please help!

Thank you,

Jessie

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
JessiePechmann2
New Contributor II

There is nothing in my default settings (see screenshot below). This is what I see when I open up the tool, I have not changed anything. Are there supposed to be values here by default?

Thank you for your help,

Jessie

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

What is the Coordinate System, Resolution, and Tolerance of the feature class? You can find this on the feature class properties. Right click on the feature class in the Catalog pane > properties > and expand both the "Spatial Reference" and the "Domain, Resolution, and Tolerance" sections.

More info on these properties here:

The properties of a spatial reference—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
JessiePechmann2
New Contributor II

Update, I fixed this by manually assigning the Coordinate System to current map when using the Create Feature Class tool. By default, no Coordinate System is assigned. Some of my colleagues have had the same issue, so I hope this helps others! 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Yeah, you always want to make sure the feature classes you create have a coordinate system. Going forward, you may want to use the Create Feature Class Wizard, which pretty much forces you to choose a coordinate system.

See: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/feature-classes/create-a-feature-class.htm#ESRI_SECTION1...

0 Kudos