Create database view for a raster catalog

12-07-2018 04:24 AM
New Contributor

I would like to create a databse view from a raster catalog using ArcCatalog. This works without any problem using the Command New -> View... and then specifying the columns and the underlying raster catalog. However, the newly created view is not recognized as a raster catalog but only as a Feature class.

Before, I normally used the sde-command Tools:

sdetable -u xxx -p xxxxxx-i 5151 -o create_view -T v_model_raster_data_info -t T_MODEL_RASTER_DATA -c OBJECTID,NAME,SHAPE,RASTER

This worked fine, and the result was recognized as a raster catlog.

Is there any alternative to these sde-command tools? Or, how should I solve the problem?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esri Frequent Contributor

You could try to register the view with the Geodatabase after creation and see how it displays it; Register a table or view with the geodatabase—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop . You are correct that it showing it as a "feature class".

***Please be sure to review the requirements closely for this tool***

I have not seen this workflow done before, but sounds interesting. You may need to log a enhancement with Esri Technical support for this functionality. 

Geodatabase

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor II

Estelle, 

What are you using the database view/raster catalog for? I'd be interested to know if we might have a better solution for you. 

Julia

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Julia

Sorry for not responding earlier.

First of all, having a view on a raster catalog enables to join attributes to the raster catalog to keep the data model in a strictly relational manner. The view allows to represent data in a denormalized way.

The second reason is a little bit more complex: We store meteo data in our raster catalog. The meteo data is normally identified by a parameter (such as temperature) and  a timestamp. Within the database, every raster gets its own raster_data_id. Many times, due to rapid update intervals, we get several rasters for the same parameter 

and the same timestamp. The rasters get individual raster_data_ids but have the same parameters and timestamps. However, the users only want to have access to the most recent raster data of a given parameter and timestamp.

Having a view on the raster catalog allows to implement the view such that only the most recent version of a raster is visible to the user. Deleting rasters is not an option since also intermediate rasters are used for verification.

Do you have an idea for an alternative solution?

Martin

0 Kudos