Select to view content in your preferred language

counting number of points of a specific attribute inside a polygon?

04-29-2020 11:36 AM
DarioPeña_Mena
New Contributor II

Hi, Im new using ArcGIS Pro, so I want some help to resolve this problem.  I want to know how can I count specific points inside a polygon?. For example I have a polygon layer (counties) and also I have a points layer that contains specific stores for example( shop store, grocery stores, supermarket, etc) and I want to know how many shop stores,  grocery stores, supermarkets, are inside for each polygon. 

I tryed it using join by location but, it just count the total number of points inside a polygon but not specifying which of them are. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Performing a spatial join of your points and polygons will produce a third feature class of either point or polygon type depending on how you set up the tool.  In the illustration below, I start with my points and join them to my polygons to create another feature class.  But this new feature class has all the attributes of the original point and all the attributes of the polygons in which they spatially reside. You can control which attributes are carried into the output feature class.

Once you have the output feature class you can perform a series of selections.  For example select those points where City = XYZ and StoreType = 'ABC'.  You'll see the number of selections in the select window and/or the attribute table.  You can also run summary statistics to create a table that has the same information; I'll let you explore that option.

A third way that does not include creating any additional feature classes or tables is to iteratively  select your city polygons, perform a spatial selection for the stores and then perform another selection for just the store types you want.  Select City; Spatial Selection, Select Store Type from the selected set, and repeat....

That should just about do it....