Corrupt .aprx file

10-05-2022 08:17 AM
Jrostek_Bouldercounty
New Contributor II

Hi there,

My project was going through a "Back-up in Progress" phase and my layers eventually stopped rendering. I knew I had an issue after +20min of spinning. I attempted to save the project but received an error from ArcGIS Pro saying it failed to save my project at that time. Prior to this, I routinely saved my work that day.

However, when I go to reopen the project I get this, see screenshot (que hot steam from ears). When I check the project file location it's now an XML..? 

Jrostek_Bouldercounty_0-1664982365566.png

Jrostek_Bouldercounty_2-1664982568817.png

Is there any solution to restore a corrupted .aprx file? I think one mistake I made was not saving the project as a different name when I first received the unable to save error. At the same time, I didn't want to have to rename the project, nor did I expect for my .aprx file to become and .xml only.

Thanks

1 Reply
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Depends on your computer/network restore settings, but you can try to r-click on the containing folder in windows explorer, properties, Previous Versions.  If it is set up, you can pick earlier version of the project and at least recover some of it.

RhettZufelt_0-1665004272651.png

R_