Copying maps from one Pro project to another

01-28-2018 07:43 AM
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

Followed the directions at: Add maps and scenes to a project—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop but doesn't seem to work.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you refresh the project? Did you open the map when you copied it over?

Not clear as to what didn't happen.  I suspect that the map should appear in the catalog pane, can you at least confirm that

PS version of Pro as well

DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

The instructions say you should just be able to drag the map from one project to another, but when I try this the cursor shows no acceptable dropping point. When I use the copy/paste instructions and choose paste in the target project, nothing happens. (using Pro 2.0.0)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I always find dragging and dropping iffy. And this is within Catalog in Pro?

0 Kudos
MarcoLucafo_
New Contributor III

I was under the impression that drag and drop was a feature added from version 2.1 so it won't work in 2.0. I already upgraded so I cannot confirm this is the case...

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

In my 2.0.1 the copy/paste from a project to another doesn't work either, let alone the drag & drop.

I solved this way:

Project 1:

Select the scene or map you need ( in the map view, make it active )

share tab: export map file > name it.mapx

Project 2:

Insert Tab > import map

or 

catalog > Maps (right click, Import)

Import

(In the import pane, click refresh, for some reason the last map exported is never there.)

select the map/scene (.mapx) > import button.

DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, yes I finally found that making a .mapx file was the only way to copy the map. I can't test drag-and-drop in Pro 2.1 because when I installed it, it crashed every time I tried to open a project, so I reverted back to the previous version.

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Update:

This morning I upgraded to 2.1.0

In this version IT IS POSSIBLE to copy/paste from a a project to another (tried in catalog Pane) and ALSO drag&Drop!

Yuppi! 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does this actually work? I'm using 2.8.3 and I can't drag and drop or copy and paste.

0 Kudos
KariBuckvold
Occasional Contributor

I had the same issue with 3.1.3 but using keyboard shortcuts seems to work (ctrl + c and ctrl + v).  Other copy/paste and drag and drops don't seem to work.  

0 Kudos