Copy feature class template from one aprx to another

08-31-2020 01:00 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

ArcGis Pro 2.5.1 & 2.6:

As I understand them, a feature template is a property of a given project (aprx file).  Is there a way to copy a feature template from one project to another?  And for that matter if the feature class names are different between projects but the schemas are the same, can you apply the template to that differently named feature?

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joe,

Regarding copying a feature template for use in another project: This was discussed in another thread: Share Feature Templates 

Regarding your second question: you can add a layer file (contains the template) and then set the data source of the layer to the other feature class. This might get complicated if you are using group templates or preset templates that rely on multiple layers.

Does that help?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Following the links you provide seems pretty complex (in fact I'm lost...) I'm trying to get the same symbology for editing that @Chris_Fox provides in the Address Data Management Solution.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does a Project template save the other templates?  I would be surprised if templates of all stripes weren't available for saving of saved within a project template

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What I just did;

1. In the original address management solution project I shared the respective point feature classes a .lyrx files.
  2. In a new project, I add the .lyrx files
  3. In the new project I re-set the source of the data to my EGDB feature classes respectively. (Then save that project)

Scott Harris‌- is this the gist of the other links you provide?

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes.. sorry if it wasn't clear . Did it work out? 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I need to  set up some attribute rules and relationship classes and test it to be sure, but it sure looks like the three steps I outlined gets the templates where I need them.

Scott Harris