Copy both map and layout, keeping references to each other

11-28-2022 10:15 AM
TylerT
by
Occasional Contributor III

Greetings,

I often find myself needing to make a copy of both a map/layout couple.  This results in decoupling of references in the map frames and requires repairing, centering, zooming the map in any layout map frames.  Is there method to perform this operation more smoothly, or at least a best management practice. 

Thank you,

Tyler

ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EricRedmond
New Contributor II

This may or not be the best practice, but I have found the best method to be to save the layout at a "layout file" and then import the layout file. This will create a new layout and map in the project. The layout will use the new map(s) as the data frame and it will be an exact copy with the same zoom, location, etc. At that point I just rename the new map and layout to whatever I want. 

When you import the layout file only the layout opens automatically. You can either open the new map from the table of contents of catalog.

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do they need to be in the same project? What about saving the project as a package or template, then using it to create a new project?

If they need to be in the same project, though, I think @EricRedmond 's solution is pretty good.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
TylerT
by
Occasional Contributor III

The use case is almost always within the same project.  I'll give Eric's operation a go at my next opportunity.  Thx @jcarlson@EricRedmond.

0 Kudos
EricRedmond
New Contributor II

@TylerT You can open a layout file in a different project as well. I use that method quite a lot. I have 5 or 6 layouts/maps that have all my base data that I use frequently saved as layout files and so I can make a new project and import the one that I want. It will import the layout and map into the new project. 

If you need to copy multiple layouts/maps to a new project from a single old project then @jcarlson method of saving as a template is probably the best. If you save as a package then I believe it will copy the source data as well and when you open the package it will reference the packaged data and not your original data source.