Copy attachments from one feature class to another. ArcGIS Pro 2.8

Jump to solution
01-20-2022 06:36 AM
MarcusNielsen
New Contributor II

Hello

Is it possible to copy attachments from one feature class to another?

Both layer are point feature class and they have a named field in common.

BR Marcus

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The Append geoprocessing tool will copy/transfer attachments to another point feature class as long as the "enable attachments" command/gp tool has been applied to the 2nd feature class.  The Copy tool will also transfer attachments but only to a new feature class.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The Append geoprocessing tool will copy/transfer attachments to another point feature class as long as the "enable attachments" command/gp tool has been applied to the 2nd feature class.  The Copy tool will also transfer attachments but only to a new feature class.

MarcusNielsen
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response.

Will "append" work when the features already exist in the 2nd feature class?

The two feature classes are almost identical. Same points and location. The one have the attachments and the other dont.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So if the feature exists in the 1st FC (has attachments) and the same feature in the 2nd feature (and does not have attachments), you're wanting to only copy over the attachment but not the feature, correct?  I found an old workflow in ArcMap that "should" work in ArcGIS Pro - might work.  If you want (and can share the data with me), clip out a small subset of the data for FC1 and FC2 and I can work on it for testing purposes.

0 Kudos
MarcusNielsen
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for your help.

I got the Append tool to work. It just took a very long time due to all the features and attachments 🙂

AndrewThompson_SCE
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am working on the same problem. Could you post your workflow for ArcPro? 

That old workflow doesn't seem to make sense for what I am looking for. 

I want to transfer only attachments from Point 1 to Point 2. Python or model builder workflow would be great. 

0 Kudos
DanielMiranda2
Occasional Contributor

I know this post is a couple months old, but the workflow I used is as follows. It assumes that your object IDs in Point 1 and Point 2 match. Point 1 has attachments. Point 2 does not.

1. Use enable attachments on Point 2.

2. Use append. Input dataset is the Point 1 Attachments Table. Target dataset is the Point 2 Attachments Table.

The append tool will copy all info from Point 1 attachments to Point 2 attachments. Then Point 2's relationship class (created by the enable attachments tool) should correctly pickup and associate the attachments, assuming your object IDs match.

Hope that helps.