Converting Labels to Annotation in ArcGIS Pro resulting in empty Annotation layer

11-11-2019 05:59 PM
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

I have an ArcGIS Pro project with 2 maps and a layout. I have an ArcOnline feature service loaded in which has labels. I am attempting to convert those labels to Annotation so that I can move some of them off of the feature they are covering up (also tried doing this through the Maplex positioning functions and haven't had much luck there either). In the map window, I right-click the labelled layer and select "Convert Labels to Annotation...".

I then check all the settings in the Geoprocessing window to be the correct map, convert Single Layer, reflect the correct layer, have the scale set to 1:10,000 (matches the map reference scale), I've selected an output GDB, changed the suffix (and tried leaving as default too), checked the Extent is the same as Current Display Extent and then "Run". 

It supposedly runs successfully but the output Annotation layer is empty - and I'm at a loss as to why!!! 

We had one run actually successful with 3 labels (by accident trying to show a colleague the issue) and now can't repeat it. 

Yes, ArcGIS Pro is the latest version too. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos
5 Replies
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Lindsay,

I installed 2.4.2 and tried to reproduce this but have not been able to.  The only suggestion I have at this point is to take a look at the extent control and test using the Current display extent and Same as layer options.  Also make sure you have no selections in the map when converting labels to annotation.  If none of those resolve the issue please contact technical support as they will be able to go through this step by step and with your data if needed.

thanks

Wendy

ShawnRoberts1
Occasional Contributor

Hello was there ever any resolution to this? I have a number of feature classes that when I create annotation layers in Pro they are blank. 

I checked to ensure the labels draw at the reference scales, tried multiple display extents ect, a fresh project with just one layer in it and more. 

I've updated to the newest pro version 2.4.3 and it's still occurring. 

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Shawn,

Please contact technical support and provide a project package with your data in the most straight forward reproducible case (one layer with a one field label).  They will be able to trouble shoot for you and if it is a bug it will be submitted to my team and we can resolve it.

thanks

Wendy

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
ShannonPugh
Occasional Contributor

I was having the same issue. I tried selecting all the features of the labels I wanted to convert and suddenly it worked! I'm not sure if that was the reason, but it did work.