Convert and display 2D piping to 3D piping

07-06-2015 08:19 AM
DanielSattler
New Contributor III

We have a task of converting a lift station drawing from 2D to 3D, and the end product must be displayed in ArcGIS Pro.  Currently the 2D data is in a geodatabase, just points, lines, and polygons, created in ArcMap.  We have elevations in the attribute tables for horizontal pipes, fittings, valves, etc.  We do not have any vertical pipes drawn in since we can't show this in a 2D environment.

So my questions are; what is the best way to draw in the vertical pipes, and what is the best way to convert this to the 3D world?

We need to maintain the attributes of everything (pipe material, diameter, type of valve, etc), and everything will be shown under ground level.

All suggestions are appreciated.  We have access to 3D Analyst, AutoCAD Civil 3D and MEP.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

Maybe ArcGIS for AutoCAD could help you.  I am not sure of all the requirements, but maybe it could help.

I might suggest ways to use AutoLISP to update your pipes from the attributes that get carried along when you use [EXPORT TO CAD] and then inside AutoCAD you can use AutoCAD and ArcGIS for AutoCAD's AutoLISP API to make changes to the features that can be read back into ArcGIS desktop.

If you have Spatial Analyst there is a GP tool that can set the two end elevations from attributes before you export to CAD.

[Feature To 3D By Attribute] (3D Analyst)

Let me know if you want to discuss it more...

0 Kudos
DanielSattler
New Contributor III

We figured this out.  Everything was kept in Pro, I didn't realize the simplest answer was the right answer.  Instead of trying to work with elevations in attribute data, I just needed to actually key in the elevation for the z-value, with z-enabled features.

Thanks

0 Kudos