Connecting MS Access to ArcGIS Pro

02-21-2018 07:04 AM
KellieLinville
New Contributor II

I recently began using ArcGIS Pro as some of our clients have been requesting the change from ArcMap to Pro. We provide a MS Access file which previously was connected to a personal GDB. Its my understanding that Pro does not support personal GDB.

I've never used a ODBC. How would I link the data between MS Access and ArcGIS Pro? We will have users that will work only in ArcGIS and some in only MS Access. So I can't have the data read-only in either.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!!

31 Replies
ErikLash1
Occasional Contributor

As an aside, watch out when working with 32 bit architectures. 

Got bit recently when scripting work across Pro and Desktop through 32 Bit personal geodatabases. I now have to keep 3 separate Python environments running to undertake simple workflows:

• 32 Bit Desktop 2.7
  • 64 Bit Desktop 2.7
  • Pros 3.6

In order to work with Personal Geodatabases in script you have to switch to 32 Bit Python environment, which doesn't come up automatically if you have 64 Bit Geoprocessing installed.

0 Kudos
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

So has there been any more recent word on this topic?  We use a few databases through Access because we have developed complex forms to easy user input which then we need to see on the fly in Arc as the forms get updated by their lat/long.  

Last thing we need to do is to spend months waiting for someone to develop a front end for these databases to act the same way as Access does and to be able to fully support it so that we can use it in Pro.  

It would be a lot easier for us to have Pro be able to read and access *.mdb or *.accdb as ArcMap has...