Configuring the temp working directory?

02-28-2019 01:56 PM
AngusHooper1
Occasional Contributor III

In ArcMap, it is possible to configure the temp working directory through a system environment variable ARCTMPDIR. 

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/supplement/temporary-files-created-by-geoprocessing...

Is there a similar capability for configuring this windows default temp location for ArcGIS Pro? Ideally, we wish to set this at an application level to override the windows settings.

Tags (3)
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know this is not possible, as I haven’t seen anything in the help about this. 

However, you can set Windows environment variables local to the pro process tree by launching Pro with a .bat script that sets Windows environment settings before launching Pro with start.

@echo off
set TEMP=C:\TEMP\PROTEMP
if not exist %TEMP% mkdir %TEMP%
start /b (pro exe)

‍‍‍‍‍
EmelineRenz
New Contributor III

The following enhancement is marked as "In Product Plan", so it is likely that they will allow configuration of the entire "working directory" (currently Documents/ArcGIS) in the future: 

#ENH-000105809 [Enhancement] User wants to change the location manually when unpacking the package in ArcGIS Pro.

If you have support, please add your organization to the Enhancement request and include a note about the Temp Folder. I did include in my submission the information about the System Environment Variable and the Registry Setting that could be changed in ArcMap.