CoGo Transverse— How to EDIT!?

Jump to solution
12-10-2021 01:25 PM
Hemlock_Grove
New Contributor III

Software version: ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0

Hi, I am using metes and bounds from deeds and surveys to create property boundaries. I am using CoGo transverse for this.

I create a line feature and enable CoGo before entering the transverse bearings and distances (because I thought that might help my problem). But still no dice.

The problem: How do you make edits to entered bearings/distances once you've closed out of the modify pane? It's as if once you close out of the modify pane, your ability to edit or even SEE the entered data (in it's original quadrant bearing format) is lost. Attribute table shows decimal degrees and editing in the table does not appear to edit the actual direction of the drawing. 

All ability to make changes to your lines via the transverse mechanism is gone! This seems ridiculous and I hope I am missing something obvious here. Any help much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This sounds like a project-based Units setting. Go into your options, and you should be able to find a Units sub-menu. From there, you can tell it that you prefer quadrant bearing.

In the attribute, the Direction field is storing decimal degrees no matter what you enter in the Traverse. It's simply the unit settings that tell Pro whether or not to display those bearings differently.

If you need to edit the traverse and have those changes affect the geometry itself, use the Trace Lines option in the Traverse tool. Click on the first segment of your traverse, trace along to the end, click again. Your lines should now load into the traverse tool, and edits to the COGO values here will modify the geometry.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This sounds like a project-based Units setting. Go into your options, and you should be able to find a Units sub-menu. From there, you can tell it that you prefer quadrant bearing.

In the attribute, the Direction field is storing decimal degrees no matter what you enter in the Traverse. It's simply the unit settings that tell Pro whether or not to display those bearings differently.

If you need to edit the traverse and have those changes affect the geometry itself, use the Trace Lines option in the Traverse tool. Click on the first segment of your traverse, trace along to the end, click again. Your lines should now load into the traverse tool, and edits to the COGO values here will modify the geometry.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Hemlock_Grove
New Contributor III

Thank you, the trace lines tool is what works. Though that seems an odd way for Esri to allow transverse edits IMO. 

The Update CoGo does not seem to do what I am looking for. The attribute pane does allow editing using quadrant bearing, but editing it does NOT affect the actual geometry. Strange to me.

Trace it is. Thank you.

0 Kudos
DorianneDysart
New Contributor III

Thank you for asking this question, I am having this issue today and hoping the feedback on this page will help.  I am stumbling through it!  It has helped me to export the traverse (see image below) and import back in at a later time if I need.

DorianneDysart_0-1662658564744.png

0 Kudos
HelenCostello
New Contributor II

Hello, 

Has anyone had issues loading a traverse file exported from Pro.  I created and exported a traverse, can see the TXT file in Windows Explorer, but am unable to locate it in Pro.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
CathyAppleton
New Contributor III

Hi Helen,

I just noticed this myself.   Did you ever get an answer?

Thanks, Cathy

0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Pro is notorious for needing the file system "refreshed" you most likely need to click the refresh button on the dialog to load your traverse.

JeffWard_0-1702661014124.png

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos