Clip layers not honored when printing or exporting

07-05-2019 04:38 AM
LarryMcEvoy
New Contributor III

When using clip layers to clip to the outline of a feature in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 the layout and map tabs show results as expected screen grab below. screen grab showing clip settings

But when printing or exporting the map the clipping layer is not honored is there a setting I am missing or is this expected behavior.screen grab showing exported output

0 Kudos
15 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

is your  PermitArea layer a line or polygon? What is the projection and source of each layer in the map, not just the ones you're exporting? Is the export location on your hard drive or network? These are all questions TS will have, which is where this issue will likely end up. 

0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

Thomas,

-  Layer PermitArea = Polygon;

-  Projection = Projected CS: MGI Balkan 7 (EPSG Code 31277 after ESRI CS def., in original EPSG dB ver, 9.6 doesn't exist!?), all layers/Feature Classes and georeferenced images are in this CS;

-  Source of vector(s)/Feature Classes: one file gdB on local HD, raster files/.jpg images stored in single Folder on local HD;

-  Export location: local HD.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LarryMcEvoy
New Contributor III

Found some time this morning to do some more investigation on this

Created a new project saved it locally and exported 3 layers of  the data (a point and two polygon layers) into the project default database. I am also using a raster mosaic layer which is saved in a 10.2.2 file geodatabase  saved locally so basically ensuring that I am working in a supported environment. All layers are using ITM95 projection.

Using one of the polygon layers with a definition query as the clipping layer everything works as expected for both screen and export to hi res pdf.   Interestingly I can exclude either the polygon or point layers from the clipping and get expected results but if I exclude the raster layer the clip no longer has an effect when a pdf is exported. Not quite what Branislav Blagojevic is getting but similar in that a raster is involved. Possibly buggy behavior will see if my IT dept can log a Tech support case.

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hello Larry,

I have a update. Our support team was recently presented with this issue. A Project Package was provided that demonstrated this problem. We noticed the Clipping layer was in a group.

Using the Zion National park sample from the ArcTutor Data , we put the park boundary in a group and clip was not upheld in the PDF export. Removing the group resolved the issue in the tests.

If you're running into this problem please try ungrouping any problematic layers in the map, or feel free to contact Esri Technical Support if your still experiencing the issue or if you would like to have your account attached to bug record that was submitted. Ref BUG-000125378

Cheers,

Adam

Esri Technical Support

KeithOlson
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2. My clipping extent layer is not in a group and the clip is not upheld when exporting to JPG.

Map frame in Pro correctly clips the data (one access road layer excluded from clipping).

Map Frame in Pro 

The exported JPG includes the extent of all the road features.

Exported JPG

I tried deselecting all layers from the "Exclude layers from clipping" dropdown to see if that made a difference, but it did not change anything. 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-4G3UqOpj30Yb
New Contributor II

I having a related clipping issue, but I thought it was different enough to start a new topic. Please take a look, thanks.

https://community.esri.com/message/910610-clip-to-outline-of-features-not-working-after-using-older-... 

0 Kudos