Character Point Symbol can rotate sometimes but not others (ArcMap)

Jump to solution
10-19-2018 02:12 PM
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

I thought for the longest time that I had to convert point symbols to graphics in order to rotate them, but then just the other day I discovered that I WAS able to rotate them using the rotate tool on the editing ribbon.  This is the same shapefile template I've been using for years and couldn't rotate, then all of a sudden I CAN rotate... very confused.  I noticed that the attribute table does have a field called "rotation", and when I scroll down, it is all zeros until I get to the symbols that I was magically able to rotate, in which there are now numbers representing the degrees rotation, which were put there automatically i guess, because I just rotated them manually.  I then created a new shapefile and added a field called rotation, but have not been successful in rotating those symbols by hand.  Is this just some weird bug, or is there a setting that I haven't discovered that I am somehow inadvertently turning on and off?  

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Amy,

Check out this documentation: Rotating point feature symbols—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The rotate function can reference a rotation field, but it doesn't create the field. If a field is set up, and you use the Rotate tool, it will modify the value in the rotation field.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Amy,

Check out this documentation: Rotating point feature symbols—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The rotate function can reference a rotation field, but it doesn't create the field. If a field is set up, and you use the Rotate tool, it will modify the value in the rotation field.

AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

OK, please ignore the paragraph below (my original response)  I realize now that I completely misread Scott's reply to my question.  Yes, I understand now and will take a look at the symbol's properties to see if I can set an angle field.  Thank you!

OLD:  Let me try to restate my question: I use shapefiles with character point features, and a couple of years ago when I first started working with them, I had tried to rotate them, but they would just snap back into place when I let go, so instead I converted to graphics.  Then, just recently, for some reason I tried to use the rotate button again, and this time it worked:  the points  stayed rotated, AND, when I looked at the attribute table, I saw that a value had been placed into the field called rotation (I did not put the values there - they were put there automatically when I rotated the points by hand).  So, encouraged by this, I tried to create a new shapefile, and included a field called rotation, and tried to rotate those points, but they did NOT stay rotated and did not automatically put a value into the field.  I think I must have just stumbled across a very strange bug, because I swear to you that the points stayed rotated and they had values in a rotation field that I did not enter.  

0 Kudos