Change portion of DEM using a second DEM.

Jump to solution
12-14-2020 11:25 AM
Hosmank9
New Contributor

I am an old GIS user (20 years since serious GIS usage) but new to ArcPro.  I am trying to create a DEM which will show the expansion of a gravel pit.  I have a 10x10 DEM of the extent area and two feature classes, one of existing gravel pit and one of proposed pit expansion area.  I want to show what the gravel pit will look like after it is expanded.  The I want to show from a view point what you would see after the pit is expanded.  I have tried several approaches, raster calculator with a DEM created from the expansion feature etc.  I am floundering and feel I need a new approach.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hosmank9
New Contributor

Thanks for the response Robert.  I figured out a work around by converting rasters to polygons, then merging polygons and finally converting back to rasters.  There was also some database manipulation and extracting etc.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you have two raster datasets, then I'm thinking the Cut Fill (Spatial Analyst) geoprocessing tool is what you're looking for with regard to your project.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Hosmank9
New Contributor

Thanks for the response Robert.  I figured out a work around by converting rasters to polygons, then merging polygons and finally converting back to rasters.  There was also some database manipulation and extracting etc.