Cannot install ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
11-24-2015 08:07 PM
RogerWilson
New Contributor

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Windows partition on a MacBook Pro.  The processor is: Intel Core i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.3GHz

I'm able to download the installation file from the ESRI, extract the CAB file, and get to the point where it says "Installation files successfully extracted."  When I click on "Close" (which should launch the setup program), I get the following error:

"This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor."

I was able to install ArcGIS Desktop with this same exact hardware setup with no problem, so this error is perplexing.  Thoughts or help would be greatly appreciate!

Editorial rant: Obviously, ESRI wants us Mac users to seek out Open Source solutions that run on Macs since they don't have a Mac version and seem to do nothing to play well with Mac.  (I already had to shell out $80 for Parallels just to easily switch between Mac and Windows.)  I've played around with QGIS (open source, runs on Mac, etc.), so that might be a longer term solution.  But, for now, I need ArcGIS Pro for a course I'm taking...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This link is pretty useful for those contemplating installing or needing Pro

ArcGIS Pro system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop  and there is this neat link which allows you to

pre-test before installing.... Nice touch, saves some grief

Can You Run It?

Perhaps these links should be on the main page.  If you aren't on the list, you can't.  Distribute to your classmates.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This link is pretty useful for those contemplating installing or needing Pro

ArcGIS Pro system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop  and there is this neat link which allows you to

pre-test before installing.... Nice touch, saves some grief

Can You Run It?

Perhaps these links should be on the main page.  If you aren't on the list, you can't.  Distribute to your classmates.

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI: That message means that it's a 32-bit OS. 

ArcGIS Pro requires a 64-bit host OS (the virtual "windows" you're installing on) to install and run.

For educational users we have a collection of resources specifically about running ArcGIS on Mac and iOS platforms:  Macintosh & iOS Support - EdCommunity - Esri

TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Jeremy, good info.

I never thought to myself, "Self... the Mac is Ed."  Not sure why this info didn't float up high when asking Google questions about ArcGIS on OS X with Fusion and/or Bootcamp.

0 Kudos
KateRose
New Contributor III

It would be great to know where this guidance has moved to

0 Kudos
KateRose
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Kate,

current info on running ArcGIS Pro on a Mac is available at Run ArcGIS Pro on a Mac—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
KateRose
New Contributor III

Thanks! I found it but am wondering if there's a forum about this also. I'm not sure if I meet the hardware requirements. I have a macbook pro but with a 2.3 GHz Dual Core i5 processor and 16GB RAM. 

0 Kudos