Cannot Edit Metadata for Script in New Toolbox (.atbx format)

03-11-2022 11:10 AM
PamFoster
New Contributor II

I have created a new toolbox (the new .atbx format, not the older .tbx) that contains a script that references a .py file that is stored in the same directory as the toolbox. For some reason, I cannot edit the metadata of the script like I can in the older .tbx format. This means I cannot update the tool tips that show in the actual tool interface.

The error message I get when right clicking and going to "Edit Metadata"--Warning: The metadata for this item cannot be modified.

Is this expected behavior? Why can the metadata not be updated?

4 Replies
AndyAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

We came across that problem recently, also. Apparently a missing feature that will appear in Pro 3.0 (?). We decided to stick with the .tbx for now.

— Andy

PamFoster
New Contributor II

Great, thanks for confirming I wasn't just missing something.

0 Kudos
JeffJacobson
Occasional Contributor III

I encountered this recently and opened a support issue. They told me it's a known bug. (They've not yet given me an ETA on a patch or fix yet.)  #BUG-000146430

This is a really serious issue, as it prevents you from publishing GP services or sharing in a GP package from tools in an atbx. You're not allowed to publish tools without metadata, and you can't add metadata to the tools. This is how I found out about the bug. Luckily the logic of the tools were in Python scripts, so recreating the toolbox portion in the legacy format wasn't too difficult. I'd hate to be the person that had to recreate all their model builder models because of this bug.

PhilLarkin1
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos