cannot connect to database in ArcGIS Pro

12-12-2017 09:37 AM
JerryLodge
New Contributor II

At my work, we have too databases, one for development and the second for production.  Both are oracle databases. I have no issues connecting to them in arcDesktop. I recently got a license to use ArcGIS Pro as we will  be converting soonish. However ArcGIS Pro will not connect to the databases we use. I keep getting the error message

"Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance.

A database connection exception has occurred. Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load. Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly."

I'd really appreciate any help solving this.

Thanks!

15 Replies
JerryLodge
New Contributor II

Thanks so much Michael!

I just figured it out this morning. I checked to see if the 64 bit was installed correctly and it was.

The trick was I created a .bat file that set the path to the 64 bit-client each time arcPro was opened. And now I just open ArcPro with that batch file and I am able to connect to the databases & our server. Thanks so much!!

0 Kudos
DanNguyen
New Contributor

Hi Jerry,

I am having the same issue 'cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load.....'

I don't have much experience in writing .bat file and was wondering if you could share the .bat file with me.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JerryLodge
New Contributor II

Dan,

Once you have both the 64 bit client AND ArcPRO installed copy the path below and put it in a new text document. To make this a .bat file, simply save it as .bat rather than .txt.

When you open ArcPro now you should be able to connect to your databases. Just open ArcPro by double clicking your batch file. Also, now that I've done this, every time I open a saved mxd, it automatically opens in ArcPro. If you want to work on something in ArcDesktop, just open Desktop separately and then browse to open the mxd you want to work with.

Hope this helps!

set path=C:\Oracle\product\instantclient_12_1_64bit;%path%

set TNS_ADMIN=C:\Oracle\product\instantclient_12_1_64bit

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\ArcGISPro.exe"

DanNguyen
New Contributor

Jerry,

Thanks for the quick responses and the .bat file. I tried it out but still getting the error. Maybe I'm missing something else.

Thanks anyway.

-Dan.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor
  • Have you installed\configured the Oracle 64-Bit client?
  • What type of Oracle Client 64-bit are you using-- Oracle Full Client or the Instant Client?

The *.bat file workflow is just a workaround and not a "must have"..

0 Kudos
HusseinReslan
New Contributor

I have same same problem failed to connect to specified DBMS instance, 

I have an oracle database I have two users one could user A and user B

when I try to connect the database user A the connection succeed

but when I try to connect to the user B I got 

Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance

A database connection exception has occured underlying  DBMS error[ORA-00933:SQL command not prperly endedNo extended error]

I need help please

@Michael Volz

0 Kudos