Cannot add field to attribute tables in ArcGIS Pro 1.3.

Jump to solution
09-15-2016 08:13 AM
MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

Logged on to my computer this morning and now all of a sudden I cannot add fields to my attribute table in ArcPro. All edits are saved and turned off. When I click the add field button, there is a very quick flash at the bottom of the attribute table (like its trying) but then nothing happens. The same thing is happening for all layers in all of my ArcPro projects. Does anyone have an idea what's causing this?  Using Windows 7 professional.

Thanks

Michael

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

Ok, After speaking to ESRI, this is a known bug that occurs with ArcGIS Pro at the basic license level. See bug number and work around below. Note: this only applies to shapefiles and not feature classes. 

BUG-000101840: Unable to add fields via the New Field feature for shapefiles in ArcGIS Pro using an ArcGIS Pro Basic License.]

Workaround: Adding field using tool in Geoprocessing pane.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

new project, new file, then try

new person, same thing?

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

This problem is actually on my coworker's computer. We did a new project  and new file with the same results. ArcPro on my computer is working fine. Even brought over one the files from his computer and tested it on my machine with no problem. The last thing we tried was doing the update from Arcpro 1.3 to 1.3.1. Still will not let him add a field on any shapefiles on his computer. have not tested Geodatabases yet, although I expect the same results.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I you can work logon their machine and everything is fine and it works on your machine... then it is 'them', their profile needs a deletion (links are all over GeoNet).

It is a great idea to always have 2 profiles on your machine.... the real you... and your alternate persona, it provides a quick check whether issues are with the program on the profile.

MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan, that makes sense. I am going to give that a go when he gets back. Will let you know what happens.

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

Dan, 

We tried signing out and logging in with a different user account. Still having the same problem. That's disappointing. I really thought your suggestion would fix it. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Don't know then, ... you may want to escalate this to tech support

0 Kudos
RachaelChasse
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael,

Did you reach out to tech support on this?  If so did anybody discover the problem and a resolution?

I have the same problem when trying to add a field to a shape file feature class.  I get the flashing behavior as well.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett1
Occasional Contributor

Hey Rachael.

No, I have not. The problem is on a colleagues computer who works in a different location. He has been busy an unable to make the call to ESRI. As soon as he does, I will let you know what they say. In the meantime I think he found a work around using the add field tool under "Data Management Tools."

ScottSambell2
New Contributor II

Thanks so much for that Michael.  Have been struggling add a new field for the past couple of hours and that work around was exactly what i need to get this job done today.  (Still no idea why the standard Add Field isn't working though) Cheers.

0 Kudos